Home Dota 2

BWhit's Concept Workshop (concept art & textures)

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Brad Whitlam polycounter lvl 16
Hello everyone, I was sent here by an animator friend of mine Andrew Helenek. I'd like to introduce myself, I'm concept/texture artist and I'm really into moba style games. As soon as I found out about the DOTA 2 workshop I had to jump aboard.

I'm looking to collaborate with 3d artists and animators if anyone is interested, if you have a request please feel free to post it here and I will try my best.

----If you would like to sculpt one of my concepts, please send me a message directly----

Here is my first set of ideas, anti mage, lion, and troll warlord (I didn't know warlord wasn't available yet)

steamworkshop.jpg

lightnincap.jpg

phantomspear.jpg

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi. Amazing work you got there. Any chance you got visit my thread and give my concept a comment or workover?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    These are some great concepts!

My only worry is that small details tend to get lost in the texture compression, I'd be especially worried about the runes/pattern on the antimage blade. Large shapes tend to work best, both on a technical level and also to remain visible from the top-down view.

Keep up the good work though, I'm working on some of my own projects at the moment but I'd gladly do a collab at some point.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Amazing concepts, I've seen your work yesterday on CGhub :)

That Axe is really awesome, If you need someone to model it, I would love too :)
    You can have a look at my workshop items here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968259278/myworkshopfiles/?570
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Lion's weapon is more of a scepter/wand so I feel like the lion weapon isn't a good fit unlike the other two weapons which fit in perfectly. Lion for reference:
    Dota2_LionNew.jpg
  • Old the Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Lion's weapon is more of a scepter/wand so I feel like the lion weapon isn't a good fit unlike the other two weapons which fit in perfectly. Lion for reference:
    Dota2_LionNew.jpg

Ah, guess that's my bad for not being as familiar with all of the characters (and just working off of the concept). Is there another character it might be able to better fit? There may also be a happy medium between the two.

EDIT: Isn't Slardar's weapon closer to the concept than Lion's? Would it work?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slardar' weapon is more along the line of a heavy Two-Handed mace/big blunt object.
  • Old the Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: sorry for polluting the thread Brad, won't happen again :X

Please, give me feedback as you see fit on the weapon in progress, I'll be posting updates regularly.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice about the small details, I will keep that in mind for my next batch of weapons.

Old the Kid, no one is currently working on my Lion staff concept, so feel free.

If anyone has any requests for me, fire away, I'm still learning a bit about the heroes. Will post more soon.
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's that a staff? Looks more like a lance.
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added a phantom lance and a storm spirit cap
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5

tumblr_mn8pglxoIs1sr7ktyo1_1280.png

I'll try to see what I can do about having a preliminary zBrush sculpt done later tonight. I'd really like to have this ready for submission to the Store by Friday, if everything keeps going this smoothly.
    A) It looks too high tech, like a circuit board blade or something like that.
    B) Details that small will smudge after the texture resizing and will be barely visible from the ingame view.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can get a lot more from that Anti mage blade. your current modeling is looking pretty sloppy and you can get a lot more poly's into it when you do a clean up. Also the blades don't need to be attached to eachother so they can intersect, which would save a lot of tri's.

Also I think you can make the first blade thicker so the last blade would be in the centre, it's a bit hard to explain, but I did a quick paintover for you.

The texture isn't really a problem, maybe use some less pink lines and make them slighly bigger so it reads better from a distance

zXxGtCR.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if I can give you another tip: When you start modeling for a high poly, always try to use squares and not triangles. It's easier to add more detail on it without having weird geometry shapes, or adding edges manually.

Why do you use a double edge on the sharp side btw? for the high poly? Because if it is I would defenetly be looking at some more high poly tutorials before continueing.

Also it might be nice if you use a hight difference for the middle parts of the blades, so it stands out more and you have a nice edge seperating the detail.
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if the detailed glyphs on the texture are too hard to read, im sure they can be scrapped or altered greatly, also Old the Kid, would you mind posting wips in your own thread? I'd like to keep this just concepts/requests/finished items for the most part, thanks and good luck on the model.
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick concepts before bed

dknightbw.jpg
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wand concepts for Pugna, I want to do a lot of weapons at first, and then move on to armor and sets.

pugnabw.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concepts, I like the third one the most. Although the first one looks pretty original.

If no one makes them yet, I would love too as well, because Pugna is allready on the workshop.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, amazing concepts! I'm really digging your style.
    You're just a 2D artist? If so, I would love to collaborate! Like you, I'm focusing on doing lots of weapons and stuff like that, while learn more modelling and sculpting techniques.

Really awesome work!
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'm primarily a 2d concept artist, but i also texture, and i will be doing some promotional artwork as well once i can collab on some items that i am happy with
  • Brad Whitlam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounty Hunter's "target finder" goggles
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your a great concept artist, not sure the goggles would fit BH with his original armor but as a set maybe it would look awesome :P Also if you add all your concepts to your starting post it will make your thread a lot cleaner and you don't have to worry about all the other stuf being posted...

Didn't know if anyone allready wanted to modelthe pugna weapons, but I just started. Thought the first one was a good idea for me to learn zbrush a it better, here's the result so far.

cTQP1eo.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brad
    The default item gets kicked out when a custom item comes in, in BH's case that's the cloth in front of his mouth, like this:
    vgAh1dl.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @AndyK, I talked with Brad a few days ago and have been working on the first Pugna weapon since then. I wasn't planning to do the other two but I don't know if anyone else arranged to do them.

I'll post pictures of my version of that first Pugna wand soon.

Here's my version of the wand.

tricksterwand_01.jpg

tricksterwand_02.jpg