Home General Discussion

students-internship in foregin coutrys?

Hi,

since it is important to the topic, I just briefly introduce myself once more. ;)

I am from Berlin, Germany, currently studying applied informatics or computer science, how ever you want to call it. Right now I am planing to change my curse of studies to media informatics, but for this course, I would have to make a 19-week internship in a foregin country in about 1 year. Maybe some more, if the change gets a bit complicated.

Since I want to become a software developer for graphics, audio or in general interactive systems i.e. game developer, I want to get a placement in a game dev company. So here are the questions:

Are there companies in the UK, wich offers such placements or do I have to consider moving in to the USA as well? (I already found about 10 companies in the UK, I would like to ask)

How should I apply or firstly ask if they have vacancies? via E-Mail? (I have the experience, that bigger companies are mostly unable to response fast because of all the mails) Per Phone? Should I apply about a half year before the internship or sooner / later? Since I am from Germany I dont realy have the opportunity to take part on events of these game developers, so applying personaly is not an option. :(

The most important question, what references do I need to even have a chance against all the other applicants? Right now, I now mostly all C++ -basics and all the basics of computer science, of curse. I programmed little games like tetris, reversi. I also think about programming carcassonne, a boeard-game wich should be doable. I also could paint the GUI on my own. Do you think this should give me a reasonable chance to get a internship? Or should I consider making a B-Plan?

I would realy like to make a internship as a gamedeveloper so I hope you can help me out a bit. :)

Thanks

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Have you tried Crytek? they're in the same country. Lionhead also does internships if I recall.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There's LOTS of studios. Don't just consider the "big" names. Sure they look better on a resume but don't limit yourself (there's been a thread about this here on polycount recently). I even met someone who got an internship here in Shanghai. Something I didn't think was possible for a western person.

Your university might be of help too? I would also ask on German forums. I know that some game/art universities help with internships. Their students can probably give you advice what worked for them.

Also, in this industry, you should always have a plan B.
  • gray
    if this is 'required' by you university then they will have to be involved to some degree and should assist you in finding an internship. there is more then likely some restrictions on what studios you can intern with. your university should have that information.
  • ruhig_brauner
    There is only a internship in any mutlimedia-related company required but not in the games industrie. :) So I dont think, my university can help me very much. We have a game-art course but they are mostly among themselves... But I will try to ask them regardless.

I have about 10 companies in the UK in my list, more or less big names. I will add some smaller companies. ;)

With regard to crytek, I will give them a call but I think they only can help, when it comes to making an internship at crytek. (of course :D)

Thanks for the response so far. :)
  • CyberGameArts
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    also check Yager Studios. It is right in Berlin!!!
    http://www.yager.de/

Btw are you going to HTW Berlin?
  • ruhig_brauner
    Yep, HTW. I know Yager but the internship has to be in a foregin country. ;) And since yager isn't part of a bigger publisher or a company with different locations like for instance Crytek.

So whalt would you do? just contact them right now?