Home Technical Talk

Maya 2012 mental ray using 50% cpu.

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Gandosh triangle
My computer have 16 cores. But mental ray using only 8 cores. How can i change to 16 ?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Under the task manager, under performance, is the cpu usage at 100%? Are all the cores up to 100%?
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    hi ZacD. Thanks for your reply. I think i just fixed it. Its working fine now. 30 minutes ago mental ray was using only 8 cores. Other cores cpu usage was like 1 or 2%:P . I dont know why but its working fine now thank you :)
    update
    but maya output window says
    "initMPS with licenseOption 0
    mental ray: got 8 satellite CPUs." what does it mean? When i look task manager all cores using 100% :\
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Its says "8 CPUS" because technically your computer (I am guessing) only has 8 physical cores. Cores and Threads are completely different. If you have HyperThreading on your CPU, then it will appear as if you have 16 'cores'. If you want more information on the difference between cores and threads, I am sure there are millions of articles on it across the internet :)

Maya2012 has some mental ray bugs, and sometimes struggles with recognizing the hyper threading. Before it probably read that there were 8 cores and was only rendering on the 8 threads, whereas if it read it correctly, you would be rendering across all 16 threads.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Thank you for quick respond :) Add3r
    ok ok you're right. Thank you :D