Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male portrait: A Hard Life

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
turistainc polycounter lvl 9
A portrait of a man who has lived a hard life. This started as a sketch and turned into a complete portrait because I was having a ton of fun with it. Tons of room for improvement but... gotta keep movin'.

ZBrush, compositing in Photoshop.

026_max.jpg

Replies

• hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    oh wow, great work. I think you can tweak the skin color a bit, it's looking like bronze, not sure if that's what your aiming for
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Great work, I guess if I have a nitpick with this is that the chest is under detailed, and it seems to stand out as such when the rest has such attention to it...
    Also why is the hair on his cheeks cyan? x3 Is there some sort of chromatic abbreviation effect used?
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, I love it. I like to see this "slice of life" type work on PC.
    Can you say something about your approach to pores? His forehead looks great.
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.

DietCoke,
    I used a couple different alphas for the pores and some sculpting by hand for the deeper ones, moles, and bumps. But what makes them stand out is mostly the painting, making sure the peaks are lighter than the valleys since there's no specular map.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rectangular highlights in the eyes feel much too bright and too large. The placement is also odd, being much closer to the center on his right eye, which would only occur if the light were extremely close. The double highlight is also something most portrait photographers try to avoid (the second one is usually caused by the fill light). Also, if you didn't model the corneal "bump" on the eye, you can get the same effect applying a circular gradient to the bump map over the pupil.
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker,

Interesting, thanks for the comment. The eye color and highlight is actually based entirely off of a real photograph that had the same lighting as the portrait. It's probably the least doctored part of the whole thing and most faithful to my reference. Not sure what's causing the dissonance for you, but it just goes to show how difficult and subtle portraits of human faces are.
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    I just checked out the portait on my other pc, it looks now the way i wanted it to look. My other monitor has the color very high. Great work! ;]