Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - Vachyre - The Porter (WIP)

Vachyre
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Vachyre polycounter lvl 7
The Porter

Early 1937 British code breakers tasked with deciphering a few torn out pages believed to have been removed from the Voynich Manuscript have made a breakthrough. A passage and diagram from the vellum illustrates an unusual plant whose fruit empowers men with knowledge and strength. Furthermore it talks of a container of seeds extracted from this fruit, stowed away in the Tibetan mountains. Seemingly by chance, Reichsführer Himmler has arranged for an SS sponsored expedition into the same region of Tibet.

Unable to act directly without causing conflict with the growing power of Germany, the British contacted their own officers already set up in the Himalayas. It is here that B. J. Gould offered the services of an adventurous herbalist from a local village. This young Sherpa climber would be asked to perform the impossible.
Firstly he must meet up with Sir Gould in Gangtok and join the Tibetan expedition as a porter. Secondly, beat the team to the seeds without the SS knowing of their existence. The seeds are then to be brought back to London to be archived in the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew for future study. They must not fall into Nazi hands.

It is now December 1938. Sir Basil Gould has briefed and planted our man within the Caravan. The expedition has begun, and if the texts are true, the fate of the free world lies on the shoulders of the Porter.

My Adventurer is based vaguely on the skilled Sherpa Tenzing Norgay that guided many great climbers through the Himalayas.
I’m still working out the concept and trying to push the graphic style in the direction of another game I’m currently working on. Meanwhile here’s a simple mood board containing some images from my research:

Replies

• Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've dug up more imagery of tools and clothing used during the time period and started sketching out what the porter may wear. I've also had a crack at exaggerating the facial features in ZBrush. Still have a fair bit to do before character design is finalized.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
  • Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having worked out what clothes he had I figured I better draw it out a little more clearly to see how it works. I did so over the top of my reference illustrations for the style I'm trying to match. At least this way the intended body proportions are right. I'm still working details into the face. More pictures of that will come soon.

Next up I'll work on refining the Basket style backpack and Oxygen cylinder.
  • TyC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TyC
    I really like the ropes crossing his chest and the bandanna is also a nice touch. I think it's a great character, can't wait to see him evolve in 3D!
  • Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled-1.jpg

I've worked some more details into the face and messed around a little with the fiber mesh tools. None of the design is final so any criticisms are welcome.
  • Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled-2.jpg

I've exaggerated the facial features some more and begun experimenting with the tools I'll need to make some of the accessories.

For the rope it looks like I'll need to make two versions.
    An uncapped brush to make the looping pieces and an tri part brush with end caps.

I tried it all as a single continuous piece but it was far too difficult to control. Cheating the effect with multiple loops/pieces seems far more feasible.
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Quick reminder that you still need to fully register to the contest so that we may provide you with free access to Mixamo's Auto-Rigger and Motions Collection. (You will need to take a few minutes to Auto-Rig and animate your character before submitting your entry.)

Here's how to register: Simply send an email to contest@mixamo.com and provide the following info:

Name: Your First and Last Name
    Login: Your Mixamo login or associated email address
    Source: Where you heard about this contest
    Tools: 3D software you will use to model your character
    Polycount WIP Thread: Your email must include the URL to your work-in-progress thread on Polycount so we can follow your progress

That's it!

We'll then provide you with free Auto-Rigging and animating on Mixamo and send you a confirmation. Thanks!
  • Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ran some more experiments.
    Figured I'd produce my own wool Texture/ Bump/ Normal map for a hat using my Kinect.
    It's no good for that unfortunately as it only captures larger objects.
    So when Life gives you lemonade you scan a boot:
    boot-1.jpg

I also started work on some of the clothing but haven't yet worked out how to maintain crisp edges without adding loops in Max:
    Untitled-3.jpg
  • Vachyre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm throwing in the towel on this one. My other projects are eating too much of my schedule.

Good luck to the winner and everybody have fun.
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear you didn't have time to finish. Hoping to see you participate in the next contest! Cheers. :)