Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] medieval watchtower

Ahoy ahoy community,

2 weeks ago i started with this medieval watchtower. Today i "finished" the model, but now i need your help to improve my work. So please give me some critic :)

I used this one here as reference
TW_Wachturm-bemalt.jpg

castle6.pngcastle7.png

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Good start. What's it rendered in? Got textures?

I think your normal map on the bricks is a bit blobby and could read better with some sharper detail. The bricks themselves look very round, almost soft, given how defined and sharp they are in the reference.

Where the roof tiles end and there's timber, I don't think that it's really working. Maybe model in a few wooden support beams and have the roof tiles texture wrap around there instead?

Maybe you could try making the banners a bit more dynamic instead of having them hang completely straight.
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. One thing you might consider though, is that in the reference a lot of the shingles were missing or askew or even fixed in place with an odd wooden board. Those imperfections added a lot of interest to the roof parts.
  • Greenmutze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys

i think for the roof i will try something like this on here from romys Pirate Castle (amazing work btw)
    pirates_3.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're missing the arrow slits in both the stone and the wooden parts of the tower itself.

The corners of the wooden portion are 2 45 degree sections, rather than a single 90 degree bend.

The attached building doesn't really fit the style of the reference, especially the wooden portion built from horizontal boards.
  • J33bus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with ZASkaggs. Those things do contribute to the overall impact of the model. but it does look really good. kinda inspires me to make one for my own :)
  • Greenmutze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update and a closer render shot. :)castle10_zpsa104d430.png
    castle9_zps3fed85f5.png