Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - AddBiddulph - Eleanor Coulston - A High Society Adventure (WIP)

Eleanor Vertiline Coulston

Born to an enterprising polar explorer and his aristocratic mistress, Eleanor had a rather unconventional upbringing. Her father’s months away exploring uncharted territories left her to be raised by an unwilling mother, in a world of politics and high society. While she felt that she didn’t quite belong with her peers, Eleanor learned that she could assume the façade of an upper-class socialite when she wished to, using her unsurpassed eloquence to her advantage in many situations.

Eleanor’s only escape from her false life were the books, artefacts and stories her father brought back from his exploits when he was allowed to visit her, and she quickly became obsessed with the unknown and undiscovered. As a young woman she learned all she could about the world around her; be it geography, science, literature or language. While her mother tried to use the numerous social events she attended as a way to try to marry Eleanor out of the family, Eleanor herself used them to make contacts in various historical, scientific and dramatic societies.

In time, the young aristocrat was invited to view the researches of an eccentric stage magician, who was adamant that there was more to his show than mere illusion. Eleanor’s curiosity compelled her to visit him in his workshop; the man had devoted himself to the occult. Signs and sigils adorned the walls, and strange artefacts lay strewn amongst the illusionist’s performance equipment. She was drawn to one area in particular, where scribbled notes and complex diagrams surrounded an ornate bracelet.

Before the magician had a chance to explain, a thunderous clamour of knocking and shouting at the magician’s door stirred him into panicked action. He gathered up what papers he could reach, and in a flash had burned them.

“Take the bracelet and run! It is the key!”

Eleanor was rushed unceremoniously out of a back door into the dark city streets. In a short time, the heat from the building she had left made it clear that whatever she was carrying was dangerous. Either the people who had arrived after her had burned the building to kill the man who owned it; or he had burned it to protect it.

Eleanor didn't hear of the magician again, and as to his fate in the fire, she has never been certain. The bracelet she kept, and resolved to find out exactly what was so important about it. The key to what? She was determined to find out, and knew that someone in the magician’s social circles must know more. The endless balls and social gatherings had just been given a new purpose.

The further she delved into the depths of high society, the more connected Eleanor realised that many influential figures were. There was something directing their efforts; some secret that the powerful coveted. Eventually, Eleanor learned what was behind the masquerades and parlour tricks, at the hidden fringes of the aristocracy.

It was The Cult of the Voynich Manuscript.

And Eleanor was going to find out what it was they wanted.

Replies

• AddBiddulph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double post, I know, but I wanted to keep my story/setting separate from my ramblings.

So, Eleanor is going to be the first character I enter into a competition, and about the third proper character I've ever made. I started out with grabbing some reference images and created some mood boards while I figured out exactly what I wanted her to be like. I imagine the world she inhabits to be a mixture of Victorian England and Lovecraftian occultism, so much of my reference comes from that era.

Lots of victorian dress images...

character-moodboard-1.png?w=1200

...and various hairstyles and hats of the period.

character-moodboard-3.png?w=1200

I gathered images of props which would both help to inform her character and the occultism her character would be involved in...

character-moodboard-2.png?w=1200

...and some reference for the people and places she might encounter.

character-moodboard-4.png?w=1200

After grabbing a lot of reference and getting my story together, I started putting together some thumbnails for Eleanor's clothing - She lives within high society, so I think any clothing she wears needs to be able to fit in at a ball or party she might arrive at to find out more about the Voynich Manuscript and the people trying to find its secrets. However, it also needs to be somewhat practical - she might find herself in danger. I've therefore imposed certain restrictions on my designs; boots make more sense than ball shoes, for example, and a dress made up of a seperate front enables more maneuverability than one made of one thick piece of cloth. I still want a high society, masquerade feel to the outfit, though.

Here's my first batch of doodles; any preference, criticism or advice is welcomed.

character-thumbnails-1.png?w=1200
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh this will be fun! Welcome and good luck!
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Great references! I like the style ! Good luck! xD
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Fun. I like the 1st and 3rd sketch the most.
  • AddBiddulph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update tonight; I've worked into a few designs a bit and made a few more detailed sketches. Comments and criticism are always welcomed and appreciated!

character-sketches.png?w=1200
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I'm loving the 3rd concept you've got in that selection. It looks the most adventure like.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    yup. 3 says shes ready for an adventure! :)
  • AddBiddulph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that number 3 there is the most practical for an adventure character, but it didn't quite have the masquerade feel I'm going for. So, I did some sketching, combined some elements from 1 and 3 together, and ended up with a concept I'm more happy with. I don't think it's ornate enough that it should get in her way too much, but it still has that high society ball look to it. Feel free to tell me if you disagree with that, though, it's not too late to make changes!

concept1.png?w=890