Home General Discussion

EA opening new DICE studio in Los Angeles

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    How about opening up a Dice studio in Tokyo and hire the ex dicers living here :), wouldn't mind.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldnt be at all surprised if they are just renaming Danger Close to DICE LA, makes sense anyway.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Why can't we open up more studios in the middle of nowhere?! :poly124: Cost of living is a joke over here... But good news none the less.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because game devs are rock stars and we need to party
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    it always made sense to me that danger close would take the battlefront ip, especially after medal of honor hitting the fan right?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    fuck being a rock star. I want to own a home and have money to save...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuck being a rock star. I want to own a home and have money to save...

This x1000
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    damnit i wish i wasnt going back to finish my degree.
  • Sevv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If only there was a char artist role. I would love to work there!
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With VFX studios downsizing in LA due to tax breaks all around the world, there's a considerable amount of settled professionals up for grabs in the area, right? I'm guessing EA is going for the top talent here. Wasn't Konami moving one of the new MGS games there recently as well?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    FIRE UP THE STAR WARS MACHINE, BOYS!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Medal of honor: Starfighter
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    It's nice to see another studio opening up here though, even if it's in an expensive city. Wasn't the only other DICE studio in Sweden?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DICE also own Sandbox in Ontatio, Canada.

DICE is just a name that they're abusing to sell games. The new studio is another EA studio - just like the other 'Bioware' studios that popped up.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul, are world artists kinda tech artists? Looking at that job description sounds like it just never associated that title with tech artists. Anywho yay for another studio. Now all we need is battlefront 3 and I will be happy :D
  • Jamie!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    ambershee wrote: »
    DICE also own Sandbox in Ontatio, Canada.

That one got shut down a few years back.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul, are world artists kinda tech artists? Looking at that job description sounds like it just never associated that title with tech artists. Anywho yay for another studio. Now all we need is battlefront 3 and I will be happy :D

DICE has weird names for roles. "tech artist" here is more like 3D/prop artist. World artist is a bit more technical and mostly involves actually building the levels in editor.

Ambershee: thanks for letting us know, that's new to me.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! wrote: »
    That one got shut down a few years back.

Doh. Missed that.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul wrote: »
    DICE has weird names for roles. "tech artist" here is more like 3D/prop artist. World artist is a bit more technical and mostly involves actually building the levels in editor.

Ambershee: thanks for letting us know, that's new to me.

Ah. Interesting seeing job roles at various studios.

@ambershee: Yeah that was closed a while back. Apparently was really close to the old place Digital Extremes was at.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....BAAAATTTTLLLLEE-FRONT.....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Why can't we open up more studios in the middle of nowhere?!
    studios in the middle of nowhere?!
    middle of nowhere?!
    nowhere

yeah....fuck that noise. The middle of nowhere is terrible. Sure cost of living in 1000times cheaper, but I would rather live near a big city with a million things to do, then own a house where the only thing to do is drink yourself to death due to utter boredem haha :P
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Irvine's a great city. Open fields, really quite and more to do than LA i think. oh, safer too. I think it's still rated #1 safest city in America. I worked in LA once,...NEVER again.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    Irvine's a great city. Open fields, really quite and more to do than LA i think. oh, safer too. I think it's still rated #1 safest city in America. I worked in LA once,...NEVER again.

I wouldn't consider Irvine the middle of no where. Especially when you consider Disneyland is there and such.
    Middle of nowhere is basically any state that doesn't touch the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean. And even some of those states are pretty middle of nowhere.

Then again, being born in SoCal its hard to imagine anyone ever wanting to live too far from a major city or its surrounding suburbs.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    haha I totally agree with Autocon, middle of nowhere is zzzzzzzzzz even if it is cheaper. its awesome living in a major city, there is just so much more going on and while it might be more expensive, developers have a far better chance of attracting talent from other good studios in cool hubs around the world. I would move to stockholm or LA in a hearbeat, well maybe, montreal is pretty amazing. if I was offered a job at a super high tier studio in the middle of nowhere I would turn it down. I work to live not live to work and enjoy my lifestyle and activities outside of work far more than being at work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Just depends on who you are, a day trip to a city ends up making me physically ill. That's why I like that a lot of game studios aren't downtown but more on the outskirts of the city, I only go into downtown Austin once a month tops and that's enough for me.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    PixleMasher:

Have you ever lived "outside of a city?" Sounds like AC and you really do not have any experience living in a nice quiet place other than perhaps what you see in Hollywood movies or hear in the media. If you think it is boring or people just get drunk for entertainment if they don't live in big cities then you have much to learn about life yet.

For the poster that mentioned wanting a house and saving money and for anyone else that thinks the area between the coasts is "fly-over zzzzz" land here is some food for thought. It is possible and there are small to mid-sized studios in many nice locations. How about a nice 3BR house on 3 acres with lots of woods (that would likely cost 1.75 million in LA, but is yours, including mortgage, taxes, and insurance for under $1100 per month). You have a neighbor with 5 acres and another with 2 acres of land with woods. You can't see another house from your backyard--just verdant peaceful green. You live on a cul-de-sac with hardly any traffic, but you can drive to work in 15 minutes wiithout crushing traffic delays and jams. Hardly any crime. You know your neighbors. You breathe fresh air and drink fresh water. If you like hunting, fishing, or boating you can load up your car and be there in as few as 20 minutes. You can see the f***ing stars at night without light pollution (all seven stars of the little dipper--something LA has not seen in decades and never will again). Your taxes are less than $1500 per year on above-mentioned property.

How about constant companions visiting from the wild such as deer, wild turkey, coyote, fox, and many more animals and wide variety of birds? Bald eagles are making a comeback and you can watch them fly from the cliffs and hunt fish in a nearby river. Ever seen a baby fawn nesting in your backyard and then grow up and graze nearby? You have internet, cable TV, many restaurants, movie theaters, minor league ballparks (you can drive 2 to 6 hours to a larger city for a pro game and then get the hell out of town). Lots of beautiful places to hike or beautiful rides on your motorcycle with little traffic to worry about. You can ski or snowmobile in the winter. Concerts (not as many as LA, but enough if you are into that). Much, much more. Never boring.

Keep your smog, traffic, crime, high-priced property and taxes, long lines, constant sirens, and all that other products of living an an artificial world. My brother-in-law lives in LA. It takes him over two hours to drive to work and he doesn't live that far away from where he works. Hell, most people in LA don't even know who their neighbors are because they go into their cocoons at night. I've been to most all the attractions in LA. I can fly to LA once a month if I wanted to, stay the weekend, rent a car, and still be better off than if I lived there. I've been in many of the largest cities in the U.S. and world. I'm actually happy that so many people want to live in them because it leaves the real world (natural) for us bored hicks. Excuse me now because I'm going to take my dogs walking in some beautiful woods and get some fresh air. What do you see when you go out for a walk?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah sorry I should have paraphrased that statement with:
    as a young 25 year old single male, who grew up in a smaller town (which I hated) and that was my own personal view.

those are cool points, and personaly for me, thats something I would rather visit for a long weekend every now and then.
    where I live in montreal there is literally a 4 blk massive park with gardens, tennis courts, a baseball diamond and running trails directly across the street (under 30 ft) which is amazing in summertime. There are also 3 other even bigger parks within 20 mins of my place.

so thats what I see when I go for a walk, or the scenic old port with super old buildings where it feels like you are walking down the streets of an old european city. it takes me 10 mins to get to work by bus, I dont need a car at all because the metro system can get me downtown in 30 mins and in general its a kick ass city, where you are constantly stumbling on music festivals, art installations and an amazing nightlife. and there are ski hills 40 mins-2 hours away depending on where you go in our god forsaken winters lol.

Personally, I like to go out 3-5 nights a week so living in a big city is awesome for that, finding some cool pub or a super underground house club around a random corner is killer. also being within 10-20 mins of taxi ride home from the main strip is good, especially if you are bringing a girl home and or hammered to not have to worry about drinking and driving.

dont get me wrong, LA is a lot different than Montreal which is super small by comparison, but ever since I moved here from vancouver I've never felt more alive, insipired and satisfied with my life.

like I said, this is all coming from somone in their mid 20s so I might have a change of heart later on, but I dont think so, I'm too jaded about small towns from when I grew up, and any time I visit outside of montreal im itching to get back into the city.

different strokes for different folks :)

thats just my personal view, on more of the studio side of things, I think a lot of studios are in these large cities purley for image, I know most of the studios in vancouver open in the most expensive areas of town to have this pimp swager image with multi million dollar interior design and shit, which is a bit of a waste of money but when investors walk in they are usually ooooed and awwwwed by "fancy game studio, so fun, look.......arcade machines and a view of the city!"
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Mash, going out 3-5 nights a week, drinking, partying, will never last. You're going to get old really fast living that life. Only bad things can come from a heavy party lifestyle like that, im speaking from experience. Just my 2C
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    @PixelMasher and @Jedi

only partying 3-5 nights a week?
    that's not enough! you're only 25. Go nuts.

And back to the topic.
    Sweet DICE LA. Hope they'll be hiring juniors.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah wouldn't mind working and living in the mountains for some time, spending less, and concentrate on art more.

If you want to be able to live a good life on being an artist, i recommend going freelance,
    I freelanced and lived in Taiwan, could live a rock star life on the money i got, which would probably be less then the norm in other countries.

now i live in the middle of Tokyo, sharehouse with 20 people, shared shower, shared toilet, shared kitchen, private room almost enough to fit 2 beds and still be able to open the door,
    and that costs me 800$ a month, Could get a luxury apartment for that in taiwan hehe.

go work somewhere else and live life :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Good news for L.A! Now.. .when is San Diego getting more studios. :/ we are like a more laid back.. less traffic filled Los Angeles.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    yeah....fuck that noise. The middle of nowhere is terrible. Sure cost of living in 1000times cheaper, but I would rather live near a big city with a million things to do, then own a house where the only thing to do is drink yourself to death due to utter boredem haha :P

Yeah... some people have to travel to the middle of nowhere to do the million of things they like to do. :icon15: Everyone always says "There's so much to do!" but rarely are they doing anything you can't do somewhere else. Depends what you're into... "going out" every night doesn't appeal to everyone.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Having lived all over from Maine, Chicago, Wisconsin, Iowa, San Diego, LA I can say there was always just as much to do in the small towns/cities as there is here in Santa Monica/LA... Different things perhaps but just as much to do.

Either way this is good for the industry. Hope they stick around a bit.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the sweet thing about being in the LA area for the studio is they are probably gonna grab a lot of the santa monica talent from sony santa monica, naughty dog, visceral etc. itll be interesting to see people mixing it up! some of the most top tier talent in the world is in cali.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    the sweet thing about being in the LA area for the studio is they are probably gonna grab a lot of the santa monica talent from sony santa monica, naughty dog, visceral etc. itll be interesting to see people mixing it up! some of the most top tier talent in the world is in cali.

Cmon mash, us country folk can make symmetrical robots and choose dDo presets at random, too. :thumbup:
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol im not debating that at all. I'm just saying most of the studios I mentioned have hired some of the most badass artists in the world, you only have to look at last of us, uncharted, dead space and god of war to see those teams have rock solid art teams. so opening a studio in the general area is totally gonna have the effect of stealing/absorbing that upper tier talent with very little hassle or cost of having to relocate people, search for people etc.

im still boggled at the final bill to move me from vancouver to montreal that ubi paid, so from a studio standpoint, its just good business.

I for one cant wait to see who is running the studio and if they grab a big name art director etc like 343 did, going from startup to elite studio before their 1st game is even out.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Barbarian Sorry if you took my drinking comment too literally, it was a more tongue in cheek blown out of proportion joke.

But I have to agree with PixelMasher on this one. As a young 25 year old male I dont want to be lounging back looking at some stupid animals all day in a quite town. I love the hustle and bustle of the city life. What you desercibed sounds great for a long weekend.

What do I see when I walk outside? Well I live 7 blocks from the Santa Monica beach, pretty fucking amazing. The coastal hills of Malibu to go hiking/driving through, the world famous Santa Monica Peir and Venice Beach and tons of art galaries, so yeah I will take that over furry little animals and knowing who my neighbors are :) I live 15 minuets from work, I pay more for it, but people who drive 2hrs to work is there own fault.

Going out dosnt always mean drinking and partying either. Small towns you go to the same places over and over again. No thanks, I would rather go out, try one of the hundreds of new places in LA to eat, drink, view art, fun event to do. Hangout with all my friends from the other close studios around here and swap stories wether there in games or in film. So much more alive and full of culture than out in the sticks.

To each his own though.

Ok thread derailed too long haha, awesome to see more studios opening here in LA. Will have to grab some drinks with some of the guys at the new studio (and force them to tell me what there working on!!)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Jedi wrote: »
    Cmon mash, us country folk can make symmetrical robots and choose dDo presets at random, too. :thumbup:

Ahahah.. who was that aimed at..
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Damn this is some great news! Really looking forward to the new generation of star wars movies and games! I think they're really going to start trying to use the star wars IP for what it's actually worth, extended universe and all. Not to mention the plethora of work I'm sure this franchise will bring for us artists both visual effects and game art industries.

Also I have to (regretably) agree with autocon ;) I just moved from san diego to LA and I have to say I LOVE the city life. As game artists we are just naturally drawn to city life I think. We love our tech and art culture. I would pick being able to drive 20 minutes and see a panel on the creation of ironman 3 art, star trek gallery and the arclight ANYDAY over some silly trees. On a serious note I grew up in kentucky where there were alot of those silly nature things, and it was definitely not for me. I will never live in a small town again, unless its' in europe :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester wrote: »
    As game artists we are just naturally drawn to city life I think.

I wouldn't say so, I've always worked at studios that are in the suburbs of major cities and the staff broke down sort of 50/50. Nothing against people who like that, cities just fill me with anxiety and dread
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldn't say so, I've always worked at studios that are in the suburbs of major cities and the staff broke down sort of 50/50. Nothing against people who like that, cities just fill me with anxiety and dread

haha I will agree with you on that. Cities are filled with so much anxiety and dread, especially LA. Dont even get me started on parking.... But being raised in the forest hah I've grown to find the beauty in the chaos :D Random tangent I loved the Escape stuff you guys did! Fantastic work!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Autocon a 100%.

I too was mostly located in the middle of nowhere Midwest in Colorado for a year. I'm from Cali mind everyone reading. So for me, yeah the rocky mountains are there... but that's about it. Its dry, no color to the setting, and plenty of metal factories for useless metal junk to drive from mile to mile to view about.

Not to mention, everything costs a good arm and leg out there, and there isn't much you can do for "FREE". In California, I could find over 30 things really fun to do that didn't require me to fork over money for. #1 would be surfing.

Sure you could mention Colorado the great state for snowboarding, but guess what? It aint free. It goes around somewhere in the $100.00's to get a "seasonal pass" to do what you love, not to mention the long ass commute to drive to the mountains.

2nd thing that largely sticks out from my experience. Is that in the middle of nowhere. Food Sucks! I cannot put it in any other way, than to say the food has no freaking flavor of authenticity, or something special for the prices they offer. Anything far West to far East of the US, maybe South? (probably) with major cities and large ports for multiple ethnicity types, or immigration simply, etc. The food rocks your socks.

This is all I have to say.:poly124:
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Crazyeyes wrote: »

I don't think Irvine can be called a 'great city' when it's little more than urban sprawl for miles and miles broken up by strip malls filled with the same chain stores. Admittedly, it does have a good number parks and green spaces so it's a decent place to raise a family. But otherwise it's super dull and sterile. Not saying I'm a huge fan of LA either, but at least there's stuff going on in and around the city.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Good news, EA kickass please.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    It's a tough call. Most game developers are pretty introverted and curmudgeon-like. At the same time, you want to attract experienced talent with a promise of a metropolitan lifestyle, but few actually take advantage of it.

Depending on your age, a busy city is a tough place to raise a family but a great place for young folk.

I think a big city wins most of the time, due to image.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    isn't this a bit of a kick in the balls to the 900 that got laid off a couple of weeks ago?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I like both, so I picked a quiet neighborhood in a busy town ;)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't this a bit of a kick in the balls to the 900 that got laid off a couple of weeks ago?

Great, ain't it. This happens a lot these days. Keeps wages down in the longer term.