Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MP5K - Critiques Appreciated

**Current Progress -

5638 Tri's -- Very early materials still.... so much to do, but I gotta step away from it for a little bit.

UDK

8BORku0.jpg

Using Maya Viewport 2.0

15b3rwp.jpg

Hey guys, I'm wrapping things up on this MP5K that I've been working on the past week, and I'd like some critique.

This is the current progress on the Highpoly, it's mostly finished. I'm currently adding anything I may have missed, and adjusting any edges that may be too tight. I've tried to keep most of my edges as fat as I could in order to bake down properly when I create the LP.

I plan on adding any missing surface detail to the normal map with Ndo.

And if you got any suggestions on cool stuff I could add to the gun, let me know!

kVcqfTF.png

h79k7sg.png

If needed I can post more renders, just let me know.

I'm shooting for a LP of ~10k tri's with a final texture size of 2048 for the gun. The holographic attachment will have it's own material sheet.

Thanks all!

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    If youre doing a separate sheet for the EOTech, why not for the silencer as well? I've always toyed with the idea of making a gun on one sheet and including a myriad of attachments on the other, so I can make a fully modular weapon with just two sheets.

Regardless, your HP looks hot. Looking forward to seeing more
  • elykk
    Looks really great, but what's that thing under the barrel, before the grip, a flashlight ? if it is, it may be too short and miss a switch.

And the transition between the upper receiver and the eject port cover is too smooth, it looks like it will not move to eject the cartridge.
    Maybe you could make the cover in another object ?
  • Jowens
    @BringMeASunkist - Yea that's a good idea, now that I think about it I'd like to put all the attachments on one sheet, silencer, rails, holo - I was also thinking about adding a laser sight instead of a holographic, or both with a rail system under the grip area as well. I'll play around with that for sure.

@elykk - Glad you like it, looking at the flashlight, I did miss a few things that I need to add, as well as adjust the scale of the flashlight and grip.

The ejection cover issue I'm having trouble understanding what exactly you mean, but I'll post a few pictures of the problem areas you mentioned as well as my references used as soon as I can to get a better understanding of whats wrong.

Thanks all for your comments!
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice hi-poly model. Looking forward to seeing it baked and textured.
    Your images are already in the GIS list for mp5k. :)
  • DarkKni9hT
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkKni9hT polycounter lvl 10
    Good looking model. Nice, clean work.

I'm no guns expert, but the grip looks off to me. I would think that it would be a seperate attachment, screwed in at the bottom of the body. You have sculpted it as if it were a single molded unit. Is this correct? I truly have no idea other than a feeling to go on.
  • Jowens
    Alright, so I've been tweaking things here and there on the Highpoly, mainly the grip area, and any surface details I may have forgotten.

Grip - Quick screen grab from Maya - Adjusted the scale of the flashlight, as well as the grip area to (hopefully) more accurately represent my reference.

lgRnibz.png

The Ejection port - This part is actually a separate piece. Should I add another edge loop to harden the transition? Or Straighten that area out completely? That transition between the upper and lower receivers was kind of another area I had to wing it on, and most ref's looked rounded.

Ii6K7Cy.png

@Walrus Thanks I'm glad you like it, I should have it baked and working on the materials soon.

@DarkKni9hT, the grip is actually a separate piece, It's held up by the screw hole you can see in the picture, and I believe it actually fits around the barrel as well. I couldn't find any reference to support that belief though so I could be wrong haha. I modeled the gun so that, if I wanted to, I could completely take that attachment off and use a rail system instead.

I have actually started working on the Low poly for the model. Currently it's at ~5.7k without the Holo, still working on that piece currently. The Holo is looking to be at about 900 - 1000 I'd say, so I'm well within my 10k limit. Right now on the Low im trying to figure out the best way to do some pieces, hopefully I can get some help and insight on the best ways to approach some areas, and also where I could make optimizations.

11aX0lm.png

1REwWEL.png

TLDR?

Tweaking HP Still, Working on the Low @~5.7k adding/subtracting where necessary. Needs Crits - K go.

Thanks
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think optimization looks fine, I think maintaining quads is better for the bake, rather than triangulating everything so save a few polygons. Remember that you may need to add some geo to get a better bake after the initial tests.
  • ausernottaken
    It looks like there is a line that runs down the middle of the rail that could be removed.

There is also some kind of ring on the front which I'm assuming is for the strap. That could probably made floating instead of merged with the main body.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    http://videogame-art.com/portfolio/mp5k/

This might be worth a look. I'm not too keen on the texture but overall, it's a decent piece and an acceptable presentation on optimization
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Any updates on this?
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    This should help with refining the receiver...

Bending an HK MP5 Flat
  • Jowens
    Finally had time to sit down and get some progress going again.

Currently the main features of the gun are baked and ready to texture:

Tri's ATM: 5502

0texEZSEivHtPUB16WE7mp7gLUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=Z5263eW.jpg

To Do - AO, Fix bake errors, add more normal detail (welds?), get Rail & Holo baked, Materials, Shaders... make this awesome.

Thanks for all the support guys!
  • VeeJayZee
    Clean bakes so far. Can't wait for the textures :)
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    The piece is nice and the textures will really help sell it. Assuming this is a game piece, I would make it lower poly, if possible. I realize this is hard, but when you add this to a character, it can shoot the poly count way up.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    that depends on whether or not this is for first person use or not. if it's for first person use, 5k is already on the low end for an SMG.

the bakes look very clean so far. i'd widen up the bevels on the magazine high poly so they're a bit more even with the rest of the gun. you also really need more geometry to increase the roundness on the front foregrip, it's very obviously only 8 sides.

got a picture from first person?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good, polycount is fine, 5k is rather low. Maybe make the foregrip more round, it really hurts the rest of the model like this. Really nice smooth edges.
  • Jowens
    This model is meant to be for first person.

I've tried to make optimizations in the geo and texture resolution so that parts closer to the player and are more visible have priority.

@Racer445 I'll work on widening the magazine bevels, but do you think the grip really needs to be more round? I figured a players hand would be on it in game, and it wouldnt be seen very often. I havent started materials on the attachments yet so that fix would be easy if you think its necessary.

First Person:

aWKGxHe.jpg

And current mat progress..... VERY WIP

bRw5ePg.jpg

Thanks all.
  • Jowens
    Alright fixed Grip, looks much better, good call, Thanks

xet8Pw6.jpg
  • Jowens
    Not a huge update, but I threw it into UDK just for fun.

8BORku0.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looks good to me! great job!