Home Technical Talk

Is the Asus G75vw worth the price for proffessional 3d software?

so im going to need a portable computer to be able paint high quality concept designs in photoshop/ painter and be able to create 3d models and 3d renders professionally like you see around cg society and here. is the Asus G75vw with 16gb ram (i plan to upgrade the ram to its max which is 32 on this laptop) worth the around 2000$ and will it perform for the things i need it?

i graduated college in game dev and im in the process of creating a portflio for concept art and 3d modeling including pretty detailed sculpts and renders.

i just really in need of a laptop computer ( hate being confined to one place when working) around the 2000$ Cnd mark which i can buy at best buy or futureshop. i was also looking at the eurocom computer laptop but are a bit pricier my first choice is the asus. Keep in mind i will be needing a portable computer able to handle professional work for 3d and 2d graphics

any tips? i dont know alot about hardware and graphics cards. i know more ram is always better. is this asus the way to go for the price?

thanks guys i really appreciate any help

here is the asus i have the money for now
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-17-3-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-3630qm-256gb-ssd-500gb-hdd-16gb-ram-windows-8-english-g75vx-dh72-ca/10243106.aspx

or should i save a bit more and buy this eurocom one

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/eurocom-eurocom-neptune-2-0-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-3630qm-16gb-ram-750gb-hdd-windows-7-p170em-bb06/10241973.aspx

Replies

• gray
    no it is not worth it at that price point. i would steer away from asus and most of the big laptop vendors. there was a thread about this a few days ago. i suggest you read that thread for all the relevant information.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120687
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    My first laptop was the G73, And it was a great machine. Always treated me well, And hadn't a single issue with it. So if i were to go with a big name, it would be asus, personally. But. I recently bought a new machine and i chose to go with sager. It has similar components (in the case of my build, Better) Than the G75, Its less "Racey" as it has pretty subtle styling, And brand removal option, Good warranty, Even better than Asus' if you shell out the cash for a 3 or 5 year, And the customer service is great.i Recommend LPC digital if you decide to take that route.

Also, Depending on the computer you get, it has room to be upgraded. Sager or LPC wont void the warranty if you open the computer up and act responsibly with it. My Np9370 is SLI ready and has a single GTX680M in it. The way these machines are set up though, I will be able to swap in future mobile cards in place of the one I'm running. The same goes with the CPU. Standard slots for the GPU and CPU means this is really a desktop replacement, And you can upgrade and update it as one. My build was a bit expensive, At 2400~. I Have a GTX 680M, 16GB ram, 750HD , 256 GB SSD, 3740QM (3.7 on boost, Stock clock), 17 Inch display, Multi color back light keyboard, Etc.

I run 3ds max(high polies with ease), Zbrush (powerfully, But once you get 30 mil in a scene you kinda expect a crash LOL), Photoshop (Work on 6K X 4K photos from my camera just fine). All around it does what i need it to perfectly. Go with me, And bring a lot of power with it.

My vote is Sager :D No regrets in buying mine. Except maybe not getting a Quadro card, which i might do someday.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Why not hold off until Wacom released their tablet PC. Its supposed to come out sometime this summer. If you cant wait, then get cheapy...something like a used asus ep121, samsung slate, fujitsu lifebook or surface pro.

I really would hold off if possible though. The good art tablets are right around the corner.
  • Nemesio
    i have been looking at the sagers but most run up the $2000 mark with similar specs to the asus g75. and since i dont have to pay shipping with the asus g75 its better price for me.
    I think so far i will be going with asus.
    @Dataday true i could wait to see what is released this summer but i doubt that wacom tablet pc will be able to run 3ds max and all that. i read around its just going to be like a samsung galaxy tablet