Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon Memory

High Polycounters!
I have made an update to my gameprototype Dungeon Memory, a game I have been working in between chemotherapy sessions to keep my sanity (insanity).

Try it out here:
http://www.successfulhero.com/UnityDM/Beta0907/Beta0907_nc.html

It might be a bit buggy, as I´m not really a programmer.
The prototype was made with Unity, playMaker and NGUI.

dm_10.jpg

dm_12.jpg

dm_09.jpg

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good, but there is some pretty obvious texture repetition. If possible make a few more variations on the textures you already have, randomize the rotation of the textures or break them up with some vertex blended sand (or whatever). I think the individual textures could use some more color variation too.

Also on the first image there is some stretching on the trim behind the character that should be pretty easy to fix.
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. I like the art style of the game. It's basic, but nice. I found a bug (I killed a Wizard and whilst looting pressed right click to rotate the camera, and then I wasn't able to press the Ok button so had to stop the game)

My only suggestion from what I played would be to speed it up a bit. I got bored waiting for the animations to play and then reset so I could pick again.
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

The graphics are kind of placeholder as I try stuff out. The funky screen format is because I tried to make it for iPhones, but it is going to be hard to navigate it. It is going to be to detailed to play, and I would like to be able to fit all tiles in the view at the same time.

At a later stage I will convert everything to 16:9 format, but all the GUIs need to be redesigned for that format. Also the background graphics need to be remade in a more modular fashion.

I will check out the bugs. I think if you had left the "mouselook" mode, the message with the ok button would have reappeared. I close the message so one can see better. Mouselook is kind of rudimentary and experimental at the moment.

Thanks again for your feedback!

/s
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome! One thing I'd suggest doing though to the walls is just let the player see through the backside of them, so the board is visible at all times.
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The text box did reappear, but clicking the buttons had no effect.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Nice stuff so far! I really like the spin you put on the classic "Memory" game. Here's my two cents:
    • I feel like things take a bit too long. It's not like I'm waiting forever, but it's more an issue of wanting immediate feedback. When I click on a tile, I feel like I want it to turn over almost immediately so I can see what's under it. Maybe try increasing the speed on revealing the tile, but then you could keep it at the current speed for when it turns back over.
    • The whole "look around with right mouse button" thing is kinda cool, but not really useful or necessary. Are you planning on keeping it for the final version of the game? Right now I feel like the only reason you have it in there is so people can look at the 3d assets closer, or from different angles. When I first activated it I thought it was going to allow me to do something new gameplay-wise, but then was disappointed to find it didn't really do anything other than look around.
    • I think the store needs to have a toggle to allow you to buy more than one of an item at a time (for example, buy 5 torches instead of 1). I think this is especially true when/if you add more levels onto the game and players acquire more gold.
    • In general, I think the UI needs an art pass to give it more of a dungeon theme. I like the aesthetic you've got going on in the environment, so maybe try bringing that into the UI a bit more.
    • I think it'd be cool to have idle animations on your dude sitting at the bottom of the screen. Right now he's pretty much a statue with a torch, and I think I'd associate with him more as a player if he showed some signs of life. OH, EVEN BETTER, it could be super cool if the actions on the tiles played out with that dude on the bottom of the screen. For example, if you flipped over the rat tiles, then a rat would show up in that bottom space and your guy and the rat would fight. It wouldn't have to be super complicated animation - I was thinking something along the lines of the early Final Fantasy games, where they'd swing the sword once and a damage number would pop up. I think this sort of thing would bring even more ingenuity to the remake of the "Memory" game.

The game was definitely fun, though. I played several games in a row and thoroughly enjoyed it. And I see a lot of potential in the game concept, too - seems there's tons of places you can go with it.

Can't wait to see what you do next!
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback!

I am currently speeding up the game quite a lot! Your comments are really inspiring!
    Yeah, GUI needs a definite artpass.. Making the current version of the GUI, I learned how to use NGUI ( a plugin for Unity) while making it. I just made some elements and started using them without much thought.

Yeah, I will go for some animations on the character. There will also be different characters to choose from, at least a female version of the hero, as a lot of females seem to like this game a lot. I will also be adding different tiles, quests, bosses etc. I have lots of ideas for this game, I just want to make the "first pass" on the code and get some feedback

Will look into that damn wizard and the bug with the "ok" button.

Currently I´m making this game on days I have energy, as I am undergoing chemotherapy (just finished session 23 of 24!) I had both peretoneal cancer and liver cancer during the last 3 years and this game is an excercise in learning something new and keeping my sanity in check. It has been pretty rough but I feel something could be done with this game. I just wish I will be able to finish it in a timely fashion.

I hope the next update will happen in a few days, as I am in my "recovery week" this week.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job ... is that done on free unity or pro version ?
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! It´s made with the pro version. Probably could be made with the free, although one needs to buy playMaker and NGUI to replicate my "code".
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your 3D looks decent but your Ui does not fit at all. Try making it atleast a little in style of the game. Why these hypersaturated colors ? Why so many different colors ?
    Why those fonts ? Get something classy. Why neutral grey when all your ingame color is tinted yellow. Why rounded corners ? Your ingame icons are hard edged and fit a lot better.

The gui is the game.
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comments Shrike.

Maybe you could check back later as the project progresses, and maybe it will be more to your taste.

To answer your questions about the GUI, I suggest you check out my earlier posts. I have already acknowledged the shortcomings of the GUI in an earlier post.

Also the GUI is the GUI. The game is the game.