Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - ScubaJust - Jimmy (WIP)

Hi all,

So, for my entry into the competition, I want to do something along the lines of Brendan Frasier in "The Mummy" To me, his character Rick O'Connell was a classic stereotypical adventurer from the very early 20th century. It gives me the ability to design some intricate old school weaponry as well as giving my take on a utility belt for that time.

423131-RickMummy1_super.jpgCI_67171_1345316709.jpg
500full.jpg

Replies

• ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so my very basic model structure is done with a little bit of definition.

Base_Adventurer.jpg
  • ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I have started sculpting out my nose, mouth and chin. I hop around alot from item to item so dont be surprised if I come back and change the mouth again lol. What I have in mind for my character is a very rugged look. He will have stubble and some scar tissue from previous adventures. This will come in time though.

adventurerbasemouthnose.jpg
  • Hadron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was the first picture you posted your own illustrator work? Really cool!

You do need to fix a lot of the anatomy in your sculpt! Or are you going for a heavily stylized look?
  • ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hadron wrote: »
    Was the first picture you posted your own illustrator work? Really cool!

You do need to fix a lot of the anatomy in your sculpt! Or are you going for a heavily stylized look?

Hey Hadron, unfortunately that pic was not mine but rather found through Google. I was keen to show the type of character I want to do.

You are right, there is stacks of work to do on the anatomy. I didn't have much time but to do the basic figure today. I just bought myself 3D Coat and I am just getting used to the toolset and workflow :) Bit annoyed that I can't save pictures out of it but have to screenshot my work, other than that, I like some of their features such as their UV Mapping tools and their retopo tools and with their new version, I thought I would try out the whole Voxel modelling.

I am however wanting a stylized look as I feel that I can tell more story with a character that is slightly caricatured. Giving more personality etc. What I plan to do though is do what I can with 3D Coat at home and next week when I have access to it, use Zbrush to fill in the details I haven't been able to come to grips yet on 3D-Coat.
  • Hadron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if I may give you a tip (constructive, I definitely need to learn a lot more myself): do big shapes first. Absolutely do not start with details.

So if you get the skullshape right FIRST, you will find detailing to become easier. It becomes almost like zooming in, instead of going back and forth between major shapes and details.

For example, the nose and eyes are really high, and the top of the head is too round. Look at reference, anatomy, and start with the big shapes!

Hope this helps you, it is in no way meant to be negative! I know how complex the human form is, and how many things you need to understand before getting it right...
  • ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Hadron, great advice! I tend to forget to perfect the basic shapes before I start detailing. Will take that into account.

You are right, the eyes and nose are too high. I decided that I am actually gonna redo the model, better block it out 100% first. Will post a new pic sometime tomorrow with the blocked out one.

I am vey much a novice at this but I have passion to learn and pursue this as a career. So please, the more advice the better!
  • TyC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TyC
    I really liked the mummy movies and I'm very excited to see how this character turns out!
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Quick reminder that you still need to fully register to the contest so that we may provide you with free access to Mixamo's Auto-Rigger and Motions Collection. (You will need to take a few minutes to Auto-Rig and animate your character before submitting your entry.)

Here's how to register: Simply send an email to contest@mixamo.com and provide the following info:

Name: Your First and Last Name
    Login: Your Mixamo login or associated email address
    Source: Where you heard about this contest
    Tools: 3D software you will use to model your character
    Polycount WIP Thread: Your email must include the URL to your work-in-progress thread on Polycount so we can follow your progress

That's it!

We'll then provide you with free Auto-Rigging and animating on Mixamo and send you a confirmation. Thanks!
  • ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Anais,

I actually did that at the start of the competition but never got any reply, so wasnt sure it went through. Thanks so much! Will resend now!

Anyway, sorry to all for the lateness of my next update, I had an unexpected trip I had to take and have been away for far too long! Anyway, I now have some time to dedicate to finishing off and I thought it would be good to post an update to my progress. I have modelled the body and the head and am continuing to fill in more details, here is the head so far, although expect alot more refined looked in the end as I still have a lot of work to do on it.
    JimmyFace_zpsc305ff9a.jpg
  • ScubaJust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in the teeth:

Jimmy-Pearly-Whites_zps22e341d9.jpg
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Just a quick reminder that the deadline for your submission has been extended: you have until tonight (Monday July 8, 11:59:59 pm PST) to email us your entry.

If you have any issue with the Auto-Rigging or Animating, our awesome support team is here to help out so feel free to email support@mixamo.com and use the word "contest" in the subject of your email so that we get back to you before the end of the day.

Good luck!