Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg- critique required

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Davefozza polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, I have been working on a cyborg character that is presented in UDK as a project and I was hoping to get some feedback on what people think about it, whether this feedback be on what I did well or what needs more work, all critique is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cyborg
Tri count- 15,774
Texture sizes- 2048x2048

Picture1-3_zpsfd7400ff.jpg

Picture2-3_zpse609d9e1.jpg

Picture3-1_zps20b613e1.jpg

Picture4-1_zpsfd0e1c38.jpg

Picture7_zps3e9f0cc1.jpg

render2_zps68c27930.jpg

Present_zps04ac4f2d.jpg

Final_zps0098b926.jpg

Engine-1_zpse6f73215.jpg

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Really cool idea for a pedestal style character but 15,000+ tri count is quite high. If it's intended for in-game use (just assuming because it's presented it's in UDK) I would say that you should optimize it quite a bit.

There are a lot of poly's that you don't need, especially on the chest and back areas.

It's textured quite well and i like the glitch camo jacket but i think that you could probably push the quality of your maps in a few areas, based on the 2K size for the half man.

Nicely posed. The final image does it justice.
  • Davefozza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davefozza polycounter lvl 7
    That is very useful feedback, thank you very much Lankus. I will get onto improving the topology to reduce the tri count down.
  • DarkKni9hT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkKni9hT polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, this is looking pretty cool, apart from the polycount issue. That could, indeed be improved. The other thing that strikes me is the lack of shoulder structure in the robotic arm. It looks very flimsy, like it would struggle to maintain the weight of the rest of the arm. You might want to look at some support pieces, like a collarbone and scapula as part of the robotics. It would seem more believeable then.
  • BradV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradV polycounter lvl 8
    @rod what you're saying isn't wrong. the way you're saying it is, and you are subsequently giving S2 Games a very bad image.

i also personally find it amusing that you chose a typical naked robot chick as an ideal model. if you're pro, i'm sure you can reference better subject matter than that.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    That's pretty harsh and it would help a bit more to add some direction for the guy to find his way to that outcome.

That being said- he's right. being able to see those differences and properly critique yourself will benefit you in the longrun. So probably want to check out the wiki and look at topology and modeling reference as well as materials and rendering. Additionally presentation is really letting you down.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/

With that said don;t take it personally- we've all been there- just push through and show you can learn from our mistakes. Good luck
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I completely agree, well over the top.

Everyone start's somewhere...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Your model is unbelievably bad. Your textures do not even look correct or realistic at all. Your proportions are horrid and do not depict human anatomy at all. Your topo oh my god what are you tying to do with all the extra lines? Start over on a new model or just give up modeling. This is what your model looks like garbage.

There's a difference between offering a critique that someone can use and just being a flat-out dick. Your post is falling into flat-out dick territory. It's not offering anything helpful for Davefozza. Instead, it's basically just flinging insults at someone who's obviously trying to get better. Pull the stick out of your ass and try to offer helpful advice instead of just saying something is terrible.

Davefozza:
    Your model does have some problems, both with proportions and things like texture and material definition. I'd suggest looking at anatomy books and master paintings to get good references for anatomy.

In addition, I'd suggest doing a lot of research into the types of materials you're trying to represent. For example, you should look around Google for images of bullet-proof vests to get an idea of what sort of colors and specular values you should use.

Another thing you should probably look at is presenting your model with better lighting. There are some good tutorials and information on the Marmoset homepage that can be applied to a lot of different software packages.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your post is unbelievably bad. Your vitriol isn't even helpful at all. Your words are horrid and do not offer any useful feedback at all. Your typing style oh my god what are you tying to do with all the extra spaces? Start over on a new post or just give up communicating. This is what your post looks like, garbage:
    Your model is unbelievably bad. Your textures do not even look correct or realistic at all. Your proportions are horrid and do not depict human anatomy at all. Your topo oh my god what are you tying to do with all the extra lines? Start over on a new model or just give up modeling. This is what your model looks like garbage.

This is what a good critique looks like. Do you see the difference and why yours looks so bad?
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Your model does have some problems, both with proportions and things like texture and material definition. I'd suggest looking at anatomy books and master paintings to get good references for anatomy.

In addition, I'd suggest doing a lot of research into the types of materials you're trying to represent. For example, you should look around Google for images of bullet-proof vests to get an idea of what sort of colors and specular values you should use.

Another thing you should probably look at is presenting your model with better lighting. There are some good tutorials and information on the Marmoset homepage that can be applied to a lot of different software packages.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5

I cannot believe I have seen someone on here with this sort of attitude. It's sickening. I hope no one ever gives you a job with those sort of criticism skills.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    @roderickweise:

I've edited your post to remove your abusive comments. While not everything needs to be presented with sugar, spice, and everything nice... everyone here deserves a certain level of tact and respect. You are encouraged to offer critical feedback, but keep the nasty comments to yourself. This is your warning.

@Everyone else:
    Please do not contribute to the derailing of Davefozza's thread. Thanks!
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    @rod WTF was that??
    @Dave
    Don't let it get you down, you gotta start somewhere.
    I would suggest before modeling a character, to spend some time figuring out the personality and attitude. Is this a cyborg that's freaked out, what's the story??
    Then work the silhouette, lighting and pose to fit that feel. Also, like everyone else has mentioned, get tons of reference and go through tutorials on the process.
    Good luck!
  • Toskineuro