Home Technical Talk

Finished sculpting in Mudbox, where to go from there?

Jux
Jux
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jux polycounter lvl 7
Alright, I think I've finished scultping my first wall. After trying several techniques, also with tips and help from Eric here on the forum, I did a wall of boxes in 3DS Max and exported it to an .OBJ-file and then imported it into Mudbox.

A bit confused what I go from here though. How do I actually create UVs for this, normal maps, textures etc..?

Reason why I'm asking is that this wall consists of several objects and whenever I try and create a normal map here in Mudbox it's only for 1 single box and not the whole thing.

Should I lift it into 3DS Max and make it a single mesh and then UV map it or...? Is 3DS Max even able to handle that?

Any advice, tips or help is very much appreciated!

Here's my model as it is in Mudbox:

2JbIoSo.png

Replies

• Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    No, you need to retopologize it. You UV the low poly mesh and then project all that detail from the high poly onto it.

Think of it like placing a sheet over your wall, the sheet is the one mesh you UV. The shape information, texture information..ect can then be projected onto that simple mesh's UVs giving you the high poly info on the low poly plane.

Check out tuts on retopologizing.
  • Jux
    Offline / Send Message
    Jux polycounter lvl 7
    Ah, retopologizing. The one subject I haven't even looked upon yet.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Dataday, I appreciate it very much. Felt I was standing at a crossroad, unable to read the direction signs. ;)