Home General Discussion

Industry Specific Education Requirements

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Memory polycounter lvl 10
I'm a MIL-SIM industry vet artist and I dabble in dem game arts, but something I've been doing recently is researching the 'other' industries in order to educate people and help them figure out which path to take. I'll list the industries here and my current perception of what it takes (education wise) to get your foot in the door. These are based on my knowledge/opinion and United States specific.

Please let me know what I'm ignorant on, and offer your advice. Portfolio strength: Strong, Moderate, Average, Below Average, Poor.

Military-Simulation: Required 2 or 4 year degree from University, Community College, or for profit school related to fine arts, computer animation, or similar degree. An average to moderate portfolio can get you in the door with experience. Moderate portfolio can get you in the door.

Arch Vis: 2 or 4 year degree from University or Community College. Strong portfolio demonstrating attention to specific details (measurements, real world lighting/textures.) An understanding of CAD data and related programs. Something like skills in material definition, etc.

Film: ?? I'm pretty ignorant on this.

Games: 2 or 4 year degree with a moderate portfolio, or no degree with an amazing portfolio. Experience helps a lot. Good networking + moderate portfolio can get you in the door. ??

Any thoughts/discussion would help out. I have 1st/2nd hand experience with MIL-SIM and Arch Vis, I've seen the process on those.

Anyone in other countries who would like to comment on what it would take for a US citizen to work where they are at would be great too.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory wrote: »
    Games: 2 or 4 year degree with a moderate portfolio, or no degree with an amazing portfolio. Experience helps a lot. Good networking + moderate portfolio can get you in the door. ??
    Games: Amazing portfolio.

Fixed that for ya.

A degree and a moderate portfolio will lose out to an amazing portfolio every time. Barring any legal hurdles like requiring a degree for visa's or some such nonsense.

Experience does help, typically in getting past some HR filter. However experience can be demonstrated many ways and doesn't necessarily mean you need XX shipped titles under your belt. Again the work in the portfolio if displayed properly will tell you all you need know.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's all about the portfolio. If you haven't got that, the degree probably isn't going to swing it for you.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ive never set foot in a post secondary and its always been my portfolio 1st and network 2nd that got me a job. its like once they see you can create art at the level they want, then its more making sure you are not a total weirdo. I dont think I have ever been asked more than a couple questions about my portfolio in an interview, it usually seems more like informal personality test and shooting the shit for 30 mins to an hr.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    It's all about your resume, then degree, then folio ;)
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fightpunch - does that winky face and your baller ass portfolio indicate a joke post? Your post is ultra-cryptic!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's joking, the only people who care about game development degrees is immigration and when people look at your resume they're likely only looking for past work experience.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    resume matters more when we look for leads or technical people for the stuff you cannot easily pack in a folio. A degree helps a bit more here since we're often looking for people who have foundation knowledge, who can lead and motivate and mentor people and help them to grow. Still, the folio plays a very big part here too.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Joking of course, folio is king :)
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Arch Viz, there are 2 different routes you can take and each one is a little different. Though more smaller architects are closer to working for the viz firms. The larger architects still require a lot of pointless things.

In house architect: If you are going to work in house for an architect, the degree matters first, then folio. It's just the old fuddy duddy way of architects thinking. Where I work, I was required to have a masters degree for my position at the architect firm. It's a dirty little secret that most large architecture firms like hiring folks with masters degrees as you are considered a learned professional and therefore are exempt from overtime. Expect to be LEED AP accredited by 6 months to a year. It looks better for the firm to have all green certified employees regardless of that they actually do.

Viz Studio: The degree still matters but it is now 2nd on the list, but the portfolio is going to take much more precedence. A bachelors degree is more than sufficient. You don't have to worry about all of the accreditation of the architecture firm.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Mil-sim: again, a degree is just a useless piece of paper. most Military simulators are starved for talent however(working for the Military = i love killing people apparently), so they'll take anything they can get.

simulators too are starved for talent, since most artists want to work on games that are fun rather than games that are educational.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Might want to add medical illustration to that list. Would love to find out more about this if people have experience.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Deviant Art Page > Gamestop Experience > Degree > Folio > Number of Trophies/Achivments > Resume > Number of Twitter Followers

Thats about sums up the order of importance.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    dejawolf wrote: »
    Mil-sim: again, a degree is just a useless piece of paper. most Military simulators are starved for talent however(working for the Military = i love killing people apparently), so they'll take anything they can get.

simulators too are starved for talent, since most artists want to work on games that are fun rather than games that are educational.

Agreed. My first job was with a local mil-sim studio. However I was in a special situation because one of my teachers from school was the lead artist there and got me and some of my friends contract jobs because he knew our stuff. He and the senior artist there were waaaaay over qualified to work there, they had killer portfolios. They worked there because it was convenient for them for raising their families without having to move out of state to work at an actual game studio. And they couldn't really flex their muscles on a daily basis.

Back to the point, I was a recent grad when I was brought on to work there. I think with mil-sim studios a moderate portfolio will definitely get you a job but as dejawolf said they're starved for talent so they'd probably take what they can get.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dejawolf & Sukotto - I can see that being true, but I would imagine it also depends on where... The sim industry where I'm at (Florida) seems to be much more as I described in my initial post - they want that paper, and of course special situations happen and every place is different. I would also say that over-qualified is the norm for mil-sim artists :)

Anyone have data on the medical or film side of things?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Autocon wrote: »
    Deviant Art Page > Gamestop Experience > Degree > Folio > Number of Trophies/Achivments > Resume > Number of Twitter Followers

Thats about sums up the order of importance.

That's pretty inaccurate. Twitter followers is definitely more important than trophies.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    That's pretty inaccurate. Twitter followers is definitely more important than trophies.

Here we see resumes with "political orientation" on them. Strangely enough everyone is a communist...
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory wrote: »
    Anyone have data on the medical or film side of things?

digital art degrees are worthless if your looking to get a job in film. anyone who can sign there name on the contract can get into those schools and get a certificate. the school gets funding from the government that you will eventually have to pay back in taxes and loans. so for them there is no risk its free money.

if you want to get an art degree with any value go to a 4 year accredited university and get a BFA. they still pick students based on an entry portfolio. yes, you have to show some artwork to get into the school. this degree is also worthless for getting a job but you will at least have a liberal arts education and have taken some history classes, writing etc.

if all you want is a job then i would suggest taking a few art classes at a local art guild or art school. drawing, sculpting, painting etc. get some dvd training on a few key areas you want to do, there is a huge amount of this material now. and do research on the net.

for film we are more interested in photo realism and detail. correct proportion and anatomy. same thing for hard surface work. it has to look real. if you want to get a job in toon animation (pixar) then focus on a toon portfolio. it is 100% base on your portfolio and experience. the more technical the position the more experience is a factor.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Having a degree is great, as you can write 'BA' or 'BSC' after your name. you could also wear a smoking jacket and a monocle/Top Hat combo if you like
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    Having a degree is great, as you can write 'BA' or 'BSC' after your name. you could also wear a smoking jacket and a monocle/Top Hat combo if you like

from what i have gathered most universities issues a cigarette holder / beret upon completion of a BFA. you are only issued a monocle / top hat upon completion of an MFA. and for those special people who get there DFA you get a tin cup / cardboard sign and prime spot on the sidewalk to bum for change...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    go for the MSc then. white lab coats for the win!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    degrees don't matter for anything, got my degree and its been useless
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    degrees don't matter for anything, got my degree and its been useless

Having my degree helped me get my first job as my lead liked not only my work but that I had a degree as it showed I had passion for what I wanted to do and could follow through with school. It of course wasnt the end all factor but he told me that it did help in his decision.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Surely having a decent portfolio demonstrates passion enough, since portfolios and the skills to build them don't manifest themselves overnight through chance.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    A degree isn't a must in the VG industry but its a plus whether we think it's worth it or not. It could make a difference like it did with Autocon. A degree is good to have to fall back on in case anything bad happens.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    A degree isn't a must in the VG industry but its a plus whether we think it's worth it or not. It could make a difference like it did with Autocon. A degree is good to have to fall back on in case anything bad happens.

if your talking about a general BA degree that gives you some other skills that you can apply to another profession if you fail to get a job then i can agree with you.

but if its one of these 2 year over priced digital art associates programs then it's not worth it unless you have been judged to have a high level of ability. the cost is huge. so if you fail to get a job then you are left with no other skills to work with and you have a huge amount of debt. it would only make sense of they had strict admissions criteria. and only the best artists got in like pratt etc. they do not and the success rate is very low for those schools. ie, most people that get in do not have the talent to get jobs to begin with.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    it showed I had passion for what I wanted to do and could follow through with school.
    You could just as easily say that becoming a great artist through self teaching demonstrates the same level of passion (if not more) with more self motivation and self determination because you have to seek out knowledge on your own.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    There's already a big 'ole master thread about the topic of whether you should go to school or not right here
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    gray wrote: »
    if your talking about a general BA degree that gives you some other skills that you can apply to another profession if you fail to get a job then i can agree with you.

but if its one of these 2 year over priced digital art associates programs then it's not worth it unless you have been judged to have a high level of ability. the cost is huge. so if you fail to get a job then you are left with no other skills to work with and you have a huge amount of debt. it would only make sense of they had strict admissions criteria. and only the best artists got in like pratt etc. they do not and the success rate is very low for those schools. ie, most people that get in do not have the talent to get jobs to begin with.
    Yeah I was talking about a Gen. BA which is what I'm more familiar with then the others, I probably should have clarified that. Sorry!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    You could just as easily say that becoming a great artist through self teaching demonstrates the same level of passion (if not more) with more self motivation and self determination because you have to seek out knowledge on your own.

Sorry, it wasnt just about passion for what I wanted to do, but also that I could hit and meet deadlines. Being able to follow through with a 4 year education is a big time commitment and a big hurdle that you have to really commit to if you want to see it to the end and come away with an actually BA.

A lot of people who have gotten degrees (people who hire) realize this and look highly on it. That isnt too say they dont look highly on people who self teach as that takes disciplined too, but self teaching comes with its own pros and cons as well.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin Meisse - I wanted to include other areas of study similar to our games industry that myself and other artists here find themselves working in :)

But if by chance you're talking about the side debate that's going on in this thread, I could see where the info these folks are talking about has already been mentioned (many times.)