Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling fightpunch's Viking

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
klamp polycounter lvl 14
I was looking for a stylized character to model - and also a chance to work on hand-painted textures - and I came across this concept by the very talented fightpunch:

nordic_2_by_fightpunch-d5tg6zs.jpg

I decided to take a crack at the dude on the left. Here's my progress on the model so far:

4ekMA9r.jpg

And one from the Max viewport showing the wireframe:

LELIS1y.jpg

Obviously it's still a work in progress. I'm about to move on to the shield texture next. I might try modeling the dude on the right once I'm done with this guy, too.

Anyway, hope you guys like it!

Replies

• Christian Nordgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Fantastic! I love the details and the whole style! I would totally play a turnbased strategy game with that kind of characters! =D
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking great! Heh, I'm actually working on an old Viking I started several years back. This just makes me want to finish even more!

Really nice. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

- BoBo
  • fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Woop! Go Go Go! Looking good so far :)
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think you nailed the mood of the guy...well done.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks guys! I'll probably be posting an update tonight or tomorrow as I make progress on the shield texture.

And I'm glad you like it, fightpunch! :D
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Just finished up the textures!

BRlHtGe.jpg

Total count came to 10221 tris, one 1024x1024 texture (viking) and two 512x512 textures (shield and hammer). All textures are surface shaders - all the lighting information is painted in.

I've got a buddy who's in the process of rigging and skinning him, so hopefully I'll have some animations on this guy to show soon, too!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • Wonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, but I don't understand why you spent so few tris on the hammer's head, especially compared to the density everything else.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    looks awesome, i think you could darken the crease above his nostril a little bit.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Muzz - Thanks!

Wonkey - The head of the hammer was really simplistic, both in structure and silhouette, so I felt I didn't need to give it as many tris.

coots7 - Good call. I'll tweak the texture and repost when it's done.

amile duan - Thanks! But the concept for the character was actually done by fightpunch.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Made the nose creases a bit darker, as per coots' suggestion:

dDiAfiP.jpg

Too much? Not enough? Just right?
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man this is wicked, stayed so true to that concept =).
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Hey looks really great, nice style! Can I ask when you block the design out, do you sculpt it out in ZBrush first and retopologize it later, or do it old school and model it out, bake AO on the low poly model and just paint the details?

I usually sculpt a blockout mesh so I know where certain details should be, bake cavities, etc. but I'd be interested in seeing other people's model/painting techniques.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Torch wrote: »
    Hey looks really great, nice style! Can I ask when you block the design out, do you sculpt it out in ZBrush first and retopologize it later, or do it old school and model it out, bake AO on the low poly model and just paint the details?

I usually sculpt a blockout mesh so I know where certain details should be, bake cavities, etc. but I'd be interested in seeing other people's model/painting techniques.

This is the process I've been using for most of my stuff. I don't know if it's the best way to do things, but it's been working alright for me so far.

Anyway, I usually start off VERY briefly in 3ds Max. I create extremely rudimentary, low-poly geometry made up of all quads so it will divide well in Zbrush.

UieCX80.jpg

The above image was my blockout mesh for the head - super rough and low poly. I spend as little time with this process as possible - maybe 10 minutes or so for all the parts of the body - then I export them to OBJs and bring them into Zbrush, where I do the majority of my work.

The more comfortable I become with Zbrush, the more time I like spending in that program more than any others. I feel like it's easier for me to not only sculpt details but also adjust proportions in Zbrush. So, other than that first rudimentary blockout stage, my first major part of the process is sculpting everything in Zbrush.

viking_tall_wip06.jpg

Once I get everything looking the way I want in Zbrush, I combine anything that needs combining, then export all the parts as high-poly OBJs so I can retopo them in Topogun.

In Topogun, I make the low poly meshes, then take them into 3ds Max for unwrapping. Depending on what type of model I'm making, I'll usually bake normals, diffuse, and AO maps in Topogun, too. With this guy, though, I wanted him to be more stylized, so I decided not to bake the normals - though I could've used the normal map and AO map as a guide for painting my diffuse if I wanted to.

Anyway, when I'm done with topogun I have the low poly mesh:

retopo.jpg

The only thing I have left to do at this point is paint the diffuse texture.

That's my usual process. Sometimes there's a lot more iterating, where I'm going back and forth between programs to get the results I want, but this guy was relatively straightforward due to how stylized he is.

As I said, this may not be the best way to do things. It's just the way I've been doing them.

Hope that helped and answered your question!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    That's been my process only since I don't have Topogun, I've been doing the retopo in Zbrush and getting my maps with Xnormal...but like you, I really like being able to get through a concept quickly with ZB.

Nice post though.
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    It's probably what you are going for, but I think the colors are a bit muted. I would like to see a bit more vibrance. That being said, I really love the execution and style!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Hey Klamp that's a really cool explanation! I have a very similar workflow, I spoke to some people about it and they seemed to prefer modeling it all from the start, although I like to block out something quickly in ZB as its quick for rapidly concepting ideas. Anyway turned out really great, nice one :)
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    katana - Thanks! I've heard retopo has got a bit better in the newer versions of Zbrush, but Topogun is so easy that I've been using it ever since I was introduced to it.

joshmtyler - True, the colors are pretty muted. I liked the colors fightpunch chose in the concept, so I decided to stick pretty close to those for the most part.

Torch - I used to model almost everything in Max, but I think Zbrush makes the whole process more intuitive and less tedious, so I've been working in it more and more as I become more comfortable. Glad you like it!
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 18
    That's lookin pretty awesome Kieran!
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, Neil! Hope things are going well for you, dude. :D
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    This looks awesome, love the color choices.