Home Technical Talk

nDo2: Making Normals for Handpainted textures

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Can anyone describe the typical workflow for creating somewhat complex layered normals from handpainted textures with nDo2?

So, of course with this kind of handpainting, I attempted to add value and hue variation in the diffuse itself to communicate certain things, but I udnerstand a simple extraction from this will create problems. Is it just going to be a long process of me creating greyscale block forms and then extracting that?

EyoLOsg.png

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    While this probably won't help for this job, if you keep your blockout and hand painted light information on separate layers in the future, you won't have this problem. Although if you're just giving ndo solid blocks of colour, it's only going to be beveling the edges anyway?

Have you tried running ndo on what you have now?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have, and the major forms that develop do not follow what I want them to do. I personally have a feeling I must do the greyscale blocks and extractions to begin with a solid base and then sculpt through.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is by no means SUPER necessary, since I started the whole environment as handpainted to begin with, but if I can get a little bit of "umph" out relative to my original goals, it'd be cool.
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally have a feeling I must do the greyscale blocks and extractions to begin with a solid base and then sculpt through.

yeha greyscale blocks is what i do or model blocks from your image and do xnormal then bring it back to ndo
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    you can use some of what you have as a base for your height map. Just use adjustment layers to tweek each part to have the volume you want.