Home Technical Talk

Objects disappearing? Is it the pivot?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
I'm currently making a big environment piece and my objects for some reason keep disappearing. I have all my pivots aligned in one place so I'm assuming the engine will not render the object if the pivots are out of sight?

Is that how it works?

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's advised to keep the pivots inside the bouding box of your objects. Id also check make sure you didn't apply the wrong shader-type by accident?

Are your objects just outright dissapearing or flickering?

When you first bring them in the scene, are the ok?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Ark,

I'm at work at the moment.
    But, from what I can recall, I'm using the Illum shader for all my objects.

The object seem to fade and flicker. The disappear when I rotate the camera, if I get up closer they look fine.

When I first brought them into the scene, they looked fine.

One more thing that baffles me, when I was working in the level, I noticed that they stopped flickering and disappearing. The only thing I can think of was that I messed with the ... console variable that increased the shadows of the sun.

Thanks for the help btw.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like it may be a camera clipping-plane issue.

Tried messing with the FOV and/or the console cvar "cl_nearPlane"?

If it's flickering it could be a Z-fighting issue maybe?

Yeah the Illum is the right shader for most objects, was just checking you hadn't assigned some other specific shader by accident.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Just got home and I opened my level. Everything is fine, no flickering, disappearing, etc.

The only other thing I think might have been causing this issue was I did a reset X-Form on some of the objects because they were rotated incorrectly when I first imported them into the level.

In the end, if it's working, why mess with it; right?

I'm assuming it was the xforms... Then again, it might just be one of those weird bugs that's hard to repro that I accidentally fixed without me knowing how...

Thanks again Ark for the help. :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Glad you got it sorted. :)