Home Technical Talk

Evening out topology in zbrush?

liamdes
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
liamdes polycounter lvl 5
Noob question here. So I'm trying to bring low poly game meshes into ZBrush to sculpt. The flow of topology isn't smooth and it shows when the mesh is subdivided and sculpted on. What's the best way to even out the topology on the mesh so the mesh looks good when sculpted? Do I use dynamesh? unified skin? adaptive skin? I've watched a few tutorials but I'm confused which to use. Also, another question. Why does adaptive skin not show up on my tool palette sometimes?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best way to avoid these problems is to make a mesh specifically for sculpting. Either start from a ZSphere, and re-topo. Or use ZSketch to make the model. Or create a basemesh in another app (Max or Maya or whatever) and import it. Lots of ways to get a mesh with good topology.

We have some basemeshes here, and info about making them
    http://wiki.polycount.net/BaseMesh
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    liamdes wrote: »
    Noob question here. So I'm trying to bring low poly game meshes into ZBrush to sculpt. The flow of topology isn't smooth and it shows when the mesh is subdivided and sculpted on. What's the best way to even out the topology on the mesh so the mesh looks good when sculpted? Do I use dynamesh? unified skin? adaptive skin? I've watched a few tutorials but I'm confused which to use. Also, another question. Why does adaptive skin not show up on my tool palette sometimes?

Just bring in the old mesh and dynamesh it, start sculpting away, then use qremesher to get your quads back(so you can subdivide to get a nice smooth surface). You'll have to edit the original mesh to match the new silhouette and then bake the normals.
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I've been getting holes and sometimes stepped looking things on a ramped surface when I dynamesh. Any ideas?

original mesh
    KAkX0er.jpg

dynameshed at 512 resolution
    tXqNpAw.jpg