Home Unreal Engine

Mirror Modeling Glitches (Red Yellow Spacefighter)

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this is what I'm working on. This is my first time (offset) mirroring a model and I have a strange set of lines that only shows on one half of the mirrored bit... Also I'm not sure if this is the proper way to mirror. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it! (Maya 2012)

Error (notice the lines running across, these are not hard edges):
2013-04-29_17-29-58.jpg

Other side that doesn't have these lines:
2013-04-29_17-30-14.jpg

UVs:
2013-04-29_17-36-25.jpg

Model (if it helps):
2013-04-29_17-40-35.jpg

P.S.: Also, trying to get a lightmap UV set that doesn't overlap is killing me.

Replies

• Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    pretty cool model!

to mirror...

select model in maya's view port and shift right click... mirror polygon (select the axis you want to mirror on and +/- value. (the UVs will mirror for you). Do not change any geo or UVs.

Adding a proper Light map UV set...
    after mirroring your stuff ^^^^

right click your model... UV set editor (you should have only one set called map1)
    select it and click copy (this is a good time to rename the second set to lightmap)
    go to your UV texture editor and up top click on the UV set drop down tab
    select your second set / light map... changing the name just makes it more organized.
    select one or more vertices in the UV texture editor
    shift right click and select Layout UVs.

You can generate a second set of UVs in UDK, but don't do it; create it yourself.

if you have shaded UVs on they will all become blue with no overlapping.

For tiles you have to match up the boarder edge with grid in the UV editor for your light map.

Here's a video that explains this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDjhOtiyuo"]UDK: Lightmap Basics - Introduction to Lightmapping with UDK Part 1/4 - YouTube[/ame]

When you import, use FBX with the following checked for static mesh.

Smoothing groups and smooth mesh.
    you can keep everything under the covert NURBS checked too. Of course your model should have been triangulated prior to baking and exporting.

When importing make sure to check use explicit normal in UDK
    that is found under static mesh/ advanced
  • Doom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that tutorial! I was able to copy to a new lightmap set but for some reason it still had overlapping UVs- I tried everything but in the end I just took it into UDK and packed the UVs in the material editor (keeping the same charts) for the lightmap set. That seemed to have fixed it! I still have some odd places where the model imported with strange hard edges though. Like in the cone. It imported in marmoset and unity fine, but breaks in UDK.

2013-05-02_19-49-43.jpg

I imported with your import settings (with import /export tangents / binormals off, since that breaks mirror models), triangulated prior to export, and still get this.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    but for some reason it still had overlapping UVs

Click on the box and restore default settings. If you generate your UVs in UDK... there will be major stretching or a lot of UV islands. Generating the second set in your 3d app. will give you better results.

Your light map shouldn't have any overlapping UVs.

I still have some odd places where the model imported with strange hard edges though.

When importing make sure to check use explicit normal in UDK
    that is found under static mesh/ advanced
  • Doom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I used explicit normals. And I didn't generate the second set in UDK, I just packed the existing charts in UDK (not the best but worked in this case)