Home Technical Talk

Using shapes for topology

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

I am completely new to topology and I am trying to work out the best way to topo the model below (wheel system for a landing gear). I am just drawing out the same shapes as the model and using the smooth tool so it forms around the original but not sure if this is the way to go (using modo btw).

I guess the plan is to have all my basic shapes centred and smoothed around the original mesh and then connect them.

Any tips would be appreciated as most of the tutorials I have seen on the subject are based on characters or heads :poly122:

topology_zps043cb542.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In max I normally start out with a basic shape and then pile on modifiers on top of it then when it comes time to generate the low, I copy it and remove the higher level modifiers. Or I remove a bunch of loops and details from the high. Also nothing wrong with creating new geometry over the surface of the high poly. Max and Maya have some decent tools for live snapping one mesh to another.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this, I'd be tempted to duplicate the HD mesh, freeze the geometry and just pull out loops until it's at a resolution you're happy with. Then run a small push on the mesh 'cause you'll lose a bit of volume.

Or you could just build a rough mesh from a cylinder then, with the retopo tools and your HD as a background layer, run Smooth and it'll conform it to the mesh.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys

Farfarer could you expand on what you mean below as I don't really understand what you mean.
    duplicate the HD mesh, freeze the geometry and just pull out loops until it's at a resolution you're happy with