Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Will Spafford

Hey! I'm a student at Kelowna Center for the Arts And Technology. Right now I'm modeling a character to bring into UDK for my Game Production Workshop. I'd welcome any critique and criticism on my project. The plan is to bring the dragon in parts into ZBrush as subtools and add detail there to create a normal map. I'm going to rig it, then bring the dragon, textures/materials, and animation into the game engine.

Replies

• faeryally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These were the images I used for modeling:

tophnh.jpg
    sideoc.jpg
    frontpt.jpg
    headrotation.jpg
  • faeryally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how far I've gotten in Maya:
    dragontop2.jpg
    dragontop1.jpg
    dragonside.jpg
  • faeryally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and a couple more screenshots:
    dragonrear1.jpg
    dragonrear1.jpg
    dragonfront.jpg
  • death5114
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    death5114 polycounter lvl 7
    To me seems like the eye is bulging out of the head a wee bit. Check out some lizard, or even other dragon's eye sockets maybe. Looking great so far though!
  • psychoface665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like its front claws. otherswise i think the legs in general could use some more even topology and the shoulders could look abit more mustle definitioin.
  • faeryally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I uv'd the dragon and have gotten the pieces into ZBrush to start working on it there to create the normal map. Mostly I was trying to establish the silhouette in Maya, and in ZBrush create finer detail, like musculature and scales. I'll try rigging it as it is, and if there's not enough geometry in the legs to make it look good, I'll go back and add some more. Thanks for the pointers guys!

dragonuvs.jpg

uvs1.jpg

uvs2.jpg

uvs3.jpg
  • faeryally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked out a place for the dragon to live in Maya and UV'd it before taking the pieces into UDK. Threw some quick diffuse on the pieces to get an idea of what it will look like. Going to take these pieces into ZBrush next, and get started on effects in UDK, like slow moving clouds/mist, as well as sun set/ thunder cloud skydome to show a few lightning flashes. After that, lighting, sound effects and then a camera move showing the dragon leaving the cave and flying away. Going to use the terrain editor to do the green areas on top of the islands, and make my own materials to paint it after its has some shape. Planning on populating those areas with SpeedTree, going to make some hemlock and oak forest. To give an idea of the scale of the scene, the big island is 4 sq. kms - a game level for the dragon character to get started on its adventures in!

dragonhome1.jpg
    dragonhome2.jpg
    dragonhome3.jpg