Home Unreal Engine

Default Evenly tile texture across non-square UV meshes?

When I was looking at my other problem I thought of another question to ask. This is generally different than the other one so I made a new thread for it.

Let's say I have the following example:

3r3e4GB.jpg

Since the mesh's UV space isn't the entire square I can't place a tiling texture that will scale evenly across modular pieces. Is there any way to set something like that up? I just grabbed a random texture from my HDD as an example. Is it possible to set up UDK if I wanted to have that tile over the 1 area of the meshes in UDK. I wouldn't know where to start. I couldn't come up with a decent enough set of terms to search for either which is why I decided to just post it.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You just have to assign 2 different materials to each part in your 3d app and UDK will read it from the fbx file.
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the response, but that isn't exactly what I was wanting to know. My problem is that I wanted to know if there was a way to make a seamless texture scalable across the meshes. So in area 1 I put a texture that not only tiles between the others, but can be scaled as well.

If I didn't explain it correctly I'll edit the original thread to avoid confusion.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You'd have to use world position then, http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html

Just use the overlay texture as the diffuse, and not have it multiplied in.
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another cool suggestion, but that is just in relation to the mesh texture in world space. I was actually looking for something closer to the world camera position, but that was smart enough to essentially 'project' the texture as the player moves, if that makes any sense.

So for instance, if I had 3 meshes next to each other the entire texture would project across them evenly at whatever scale is set. Right now the mesh will only displace a portion of the square texture because the UV doesn't take up the entire texture area.

I'm half alseep typing this out so if I'm being confusing, again, just tell me and I'll try and clear things up as best I can.

Unless there is another way to use the world position node that I didn't figure out.