Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpting wrinkles in clothing feeback

I have sculpted a couple of characters with clothing before but I have never sculpted small folds until now. I got a couple of reference images to guide myself but since the folds looked all random in all of them I decided to sculpt them in random places as well.

I am still not done with some areas but I'll be glad to get some feedback before I move on.

SelwlTE.png
zfWLVK2.png
t42aIGD.png

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Post the reference you're working from.

The most obvious problem with your sculpt is that you're being way too timid with your surface strokes.

And please don't post 5.5k pixel images, no one needs a picture that big to evaluate your work especially when the majority of it is empty grey space
  • Faltzer
    Post the reference you're working from.

The most obvious problem with your sculpt is that you're being way too timid with your surface strokes.

And please don't post 5.5k pixel images, no one needs a picture that big to evaluate your work especially when the majority of it is empty grey space

Well what I did was to sculpt the folds and reduce the intensity of the layer by 60% and you are right about my images. I'll scale the images down.

Here are a some of the reference I am using.

ruCRsPe.jpg
    4eVKpbm.jpg
    n2wTixs.jpg
    BXAUzaL.jpg
    CEsJvHe.jpg
    1dTtBKU.jpg
    J79Geat.jpg
    bOwGxQT.jpg
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    You've got way too much reference man, and too many different kinds of fabric between them.

You might think "a wrinkle is a wrinkle" but that's not really the case, different fabrics fold in different ways with the most important idea being that thinner fabric tends to have more creases and sharp edges and thicker fabric (especially leather) has very large soft folds and billows out in places.

I'd suggest taking two images out of that pile, preferably ones in fairly neutral poses, one for the pants and one for the shirt and just try to duplicate the wrinkles you see in the reference and pay special attention to how the shape of the wrinkle creases and softens and how it indents and protrudes as it starts to get impacted (like near the bottom of the pat leg)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i agree that you are approaching this a bit wrong. Pick one specific type of pants or shirt with only one material in mind and just gather reference that pertains to your subject. also, folds are never "random." they are caused by specific pressures and materials pushing against each other...like ur knee pushing against the material of ur jeans. in order to successfully sculpt cloth, this understanding is key. Don't just randomly sculpt lines because that is never gonna look right. Look at the silhouette first and get the basic forms of where the major folds occur and sculpt these are lower subdivisions. then, build on that as you go higher until u do the very fine folds at higher levels.
  • Faltzer
    Sorry for taking so long to post an update.

I had to RMA my gpu and I just got it back.

7id9CxF.png
    l6UTmm5.png
    jxUy4Kn.png
  • DWalker
    The wrinkles on the jeans just don't feel realistic, especially considering how tight the pants are. I'd expect some wrinkles originating at the crotch and radiating outwards towards the hips, some at the back of the knees, and fairly deep ones where the pants have been gathered around the calves. If there are wrinkles at the thighs, then they will start at the seams and tend downwards at a fairly sharp angle. Overall, consider that wrinkles generally start somewhere, almost always at a seam, and they tend to peter out rather than continuing around the entire limb; the wrinkles you have at the knees are an extreme example of the wrong behavior. This image is probably closest to what you have, but the jeans are much looser than the painted-on variety you are using:
    womens-the-sweetheart-skinny-jeans-dark-rinse.jpg

While not wrinkle related, you should also keep in mind that jeans tend to have irregular wear patterns. The fabric over the thighs especially tends to be lighter than the remainder of the jeans. The hems, pockets, and waist also tend to be more worn than the rest.

The jeans also have no fly, which is just odd... some materials stretch enough for that to work (lycra/spandex, for example), but even stretchy jeans don't.
  • Faltzer