Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hotline Miami Fanart Model

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PHIllstead polycounter lvl 8
Latest Update:
lcaOwxN.jpg

In the engine! I'm using UDK. Still needs a lot more work! Skin textures need to be developed a lot more but so far I'm pretty happy with what I have going on. Had some of my instructors give me some awesome feedback on the folds I had going on and I think it really helped!

OLD POST:

Hello everyone!

So basically, Hotline Miami was one of the best games of last year and I loved it so much, I wanted to bring Jacket to 3D. My goal is take him to final game resolution for my portfolio. I'm basing a lot of my decisions off of the official art, but not relying of it 100%. Here is my progress thus far!

As this is still a WIP, any comments and critiques would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

xnZMsQM.jpg
7QMYJze.jpg
OPmnibV.jpg
T0NRAQR.jpg
opH0Gj2.jpg

And here is my kind of mood board/reference sheet of some of the pictures I'm using as reference. I'm also utilizing a lot of reference from places like 3dsk. The trailer was particularly inspiring.

cZmSolx.jpg

Replies

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Areas that immediately stand out to me are the creases and folds on the clothing, they look a little bit blobby at the moment and maybe you've gone a bit too far on the arms although that may just be because you haven't done anything on the chest yet which obviously makes for a weird contrast. In regards to that I think you should try and make sure you are working on all areas of the model at an equal rate a bit more (this is something that I know I'm guilty of), seems you got very focused on the arms and you might find it difficult to bring everything else to the same level. The shape of the chest area doesn't look right either, you have it coming in at the waist and the chest bulging out, if you look at your reference you'll notice it doesn't fit like that.

The trim on the cuffs and the bottom of the jacket is looking a bit messy too but obviously it's hard for me to tell what areas are at what stage of completion. (another reason it's helpful to try and work on all areas equally)

The proportions seem good and I like the mask a lot.

Hope that is helpful.
  • PHIllstead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a little bit, but here is an update from me:

@Boozebeard: I think your feedback was spot on and I tried to take a few steps back and work on everything equally before going into detail, such as seams, pockets, etc. I also adjusted his jacket to be a bit more like my references, so hopefully it reads better.

C&C would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty happy with how its coming out. I think the only thing I might be unhappy with is the pants, they might need some more work.

2Ed89ny.jpg
    3gXsMqy.jpg
  • PHIllstead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the engine! I'm using UDK. Still needs a lot more work! Skin textures need to be developed a lot more, and some more clothing detail needs to happen, but so far I'm pretty happy with what I have going on. Had some of my instructors give me some awesome feedback on the folds I had going on and I think it really helped!

lcaOwxN.jpg