Home General Discussion

Running Windows on an IMac

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
richkid polycounter lvl 17
Hey everybody

Is anybody running windows as a dual boot on an iMac instead of through boot camp? If so are you coming across any issues with programs?

I teach and our IT wants to switch all of the PC labs to make running this way. I understand where they are coming from since they don't build our PCs, so if something goes bad they have to send it back to HP to get fixed instead of being able to do it themselves. With the iMacs they can take it down the street to the apple store

But yeah, I have had too many issues with students using Bootcamp and getting terrible driver issues we have to work around and I don't want the school to drop it's computer budget on something we major will be fighting with

Any thoughts on this would be great, thanks everyone

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    boot camp is duel booting, boot camp is just what they call the boot loader.

you must have it confused with useing a app like VMware.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    richkid wrote: »
    Hey everybody

Is anybody running windows as a dual boot on an iMac instead of through boot camp? If so are you coming across any issues with programs?

I teach and our IT wants to switch all of the PC labs to make running this way. I understand where they are coming from since they don't build our PCs, so if something goes bad they have to send it back to HP to get fixed instead of being able to do it themselves. With the iMacs they can take it down the street to the apple store

But yeah, I have had too many issues with students using Bootcamp and getting terrible driver issues we have to work around and I don't want the school to drop it's computer budget on something we major will be fighting with

Any thoughts on this would be great, thanks everyone

How many programs or students use Macs versus PC? I would hope your IT department would research this before anything. If you have only a few students use Mac software. Why would you spend `$300+ more per computer for an Apple for something that will rarely be booted into? While instead you could ratio the Macs and software bought to students needed. That way everyone wins.

Also most PC companies offer in house repair option warranty (example: Dell). That Apple "down the street" bit seems an excuse given by an IT supervisor who loves Mac over what is needed by the school/students/or budget. I realize you probably don't want to give the schools name, but that kind of illogic is what frustrates me about some schools when they favor budgeting other things over what should be first and foremost: the students.