Home Technical Talk

How to tackle texturing in this situation?

I have two modular pieces, one has a window frame, the other is just a solid wall. What is the best way to texture the pieces so the wall texture portions are seamless? For instance, lets say I have a stone texture (because it's a stone texture). Right now I have two separate UV layouts and I'm trying to match the UVs in both 3DS and Photoshop which is a pain in the ass because it's never perfect. I'm hoping there is some obvious solution that I'm just overlooking or not finding.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    make your tileable wall texture as 1 texture. then just add the window in ontop of the texture for a 2nd texture.
  • mister_s
    The second wall has geometry cut out of it, though. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I guess I can do a multi-texutre on the mesh and just use the same UVs? Another problem is that the wall is elongated so I'm losing some of texture space.

Let me post an image just to make sure I'm understood.QDuH2TW.jpg

The only reason I put the second option is if I wanted to use more of the space for a better looking texture since UDK compresses the balls off of everything.

Since the window is its own piece I can't reuse the wall will go through the mesh into the window. Or maybe I'm overthinking things.