Home General Discussion

At what point are you willing to spend money on a ftp game?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
This could cover both pc/console games and mobile games. I've got a small set of mobile games I play, and have been playing for a while, which I've yet to put any actual money into. One of which I'm finding I'm really enjoying, and I'm debating whether I should put some money into it (and how much).

What usually makes you decide to (or not to) put money into a free to play game you've been playing, and how long before you make that decision?

This isn't a question of "should I support the developer?", though if that's a motivation for you to put the money in, that's fine as an answer. It's more of a "at what point does a ftp game warrant your cash in their pockets?" question.

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And just to give an older example, I was about ready to put cash into "Simpsons: Tapped Out" at one point. I decided to hold out, and ended up selling off my iPad. EA's not put out a compatible version for Android, so my money would've been wasted until I got another Apple device.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only money I've put into ftp games is for tf2. Partly for stuff where I know who made the model or christmas gifts when I played with the cgtalk peeps, but mostly just because my drop-rate for anything I'd actually want is pretty abysmal. I've been playing since release and never had a single hat drop for example.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If I'm enjoying a game I will toss in what I feel is a reasonable price if it was a retail game - like Spiral Knights, I played it for a bit and said "dang, I'd pay $30 for this at retail". Typically my reason is to reward the devs.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only money I've put into ftp games is for tf2. Partly for stuff where I know who made the model or christmas gifts when I played with the cgtalk peeps, but mostly just because my drop-rate for anything I'd actually want is pretty abysmal. I've been playing since release and never had a single hat drop for example.

I've put a chunk of change into TF2 over the years, which sometimes makes me wince cause I play it in waves... probably haven't played TF2 in 6 months to a year.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm enjoying a game I will toss in what I feel is a reasonable price if it was a retail game - like Spiral Knights, I played it for a bit and said "dang, I'd pay $30 for this at retail". Typically my reason is to reward the devs.

Yeah, Spiral Knights and Tribes Ascension both got some of my money (during their betas no less), and I've yet to play the final releases of those games. I think the fact that it's a mobile game and high potential for turnover (like my selling off my iPad) makes me wonder about long-term reward for investment.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I put 5$ into TF2 because I've played for 80 hours and didn't pay for it, I put $15 on Planetside 2 because it was triple point day, and I got a bonus $5, so I got $60 worth of in game content. The airships needed a lot of grinding to get good weapons, so it was mostly for that, and I played Planetside for about 40 hours. I don't think I've spent money on any other free to play like LoL, dota, or DLC for that mater.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I guess for me its really hard, even if I really like the game and developer (Offensive Combat/u4ia as an example). These games are constantly changing, so that weapon you bought two months ago might be overshadowed by something newer. Or the hair piece gets bought by so many, you can no longer distinguish your avatar in a crowd.

Probably the biggest one which is shared by MMOs and online games that do not allow third party servers. Since you never bought an actual full game, if the developer closes it down due to age, falling audiences, or changing hardware that would require an expensive base rebuild. All you have left are memories versus something you can choose to revisit.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not a big mobile gamer, but even with the few games I've played, I haven't paid anything. I'm not sure if it's for my lack of interest in mobile games or what, I just never really enjoyed something enough to give them my money. A lot of the games I play are just time wasters while... poopin'.

I've never thought "I think I'm gonna get off this high-end PC and go play a mobile game."

Also, Flaagan, I think there is a Simpsons: Tapped Out game for Android. I downloaded it on my Nexus 7. Can't comment on how it plays though- I downloaded it for the plane ride to GDC, but never downloaded the actual content and the plane didn't have WiFi. :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart - yah, there is an Android version, but it's crap. No Origin connectivity, so no social aspect or any other goodies like that. It's like a dumbed down version of the game because they were too lazy to make Origin for Android. If the game (and thus, my login and already existing Springfield) were carried across I wouldn't have thought twice about putting a few bucks into the game. As it was, when I got rid of the iPad I don't think they even had an Android version at that point.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've spent money mostly on aesthetic things. I never spent a single penny on the real money auction house for D3. Largely because prices are controlled by players and it feels wrong to pay real money for power.

I easily spent about $60 on League of Legends, though. Once I fell in love with a character I would really enjoy unlocking skins for them to make me feel special.

LoL has a very good micro transaction structure. D3 has a god awful structure.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I made money more money on the real money auction house than I spent on the game :\
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fwiw I downloaded it right now and it asked if I had an origin login.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    ;_; i've spent over 300$ in tf2
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    LoL has indeed tempted me and i threw in for a small amount of RP for about £5-ish.

Bought ezreal, a skin for him and a leona skin.

Two Tf2 keys in the past too ;')
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    aesthetics only like Dota 2 I would consider if I got really into it.

Otherwise, if Rock Band was F2P on XBLA/PSN/PC with a few songs but dlc gave me more songs/gameplay I would probably do that too.

almost every other circumstance I just can't justify spending my money on.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    D3 was even worse because you had to shell out $60 for the game, then the RAH comes out.

I think if micro transactions are kept to aesthetics, then the rest of the game design won't suffer.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I play as far as "free" gets me, then I quit. But for the most I keep away from FTP.

(I thought this was about File Transfer Protocol for a second)...
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    I've spent a few hundred between TF2 (trading) and Tribes: Ascend. I tend to do it for cosmetics, or just as my way of thanking the devs for the game.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I put about £40 ($60) into Tribes: Ascend, but that's because I was always heavily into Tribes and was playing on a more or less daily basis. I think I racked up around 300 hours before I stopped playing. I stopped playing primarily because of changes made to the game that were beginning to render it unplayable - alternative equipment introduced to encourage people to continue micro-transacting that was ruining the game balance.

It was also at this point that I've been put off free-to-play titles completely. It's unlikely I'll bother with another; I've seen how it doesn't work out.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Exactly. If I'm impressed with a game and the fact that they made it f2p, I'll throw coin their way. They were cool about it, and they got talent, and they entertained me, I'm gonna pay them. Whatever I get for paying out, I just view as free dlc.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    It would be cool to see some real life figures of average players (always feels a bit distorted talking to other game devs about it)
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    The only FTP games I've played are Airmech and Planetside 2. I dropped some cash into Airmech, but I think I'm going to go entirely FTP in Planetside.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I try not to play F2P games.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can easily spend $100 on one trip to the arcade so that gives me some perspective.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yep, even if I don't need whatever they sell in game to play, if I enjoy it I want to make sure they are rewarded for their hard work, I hope they keep putting out updates or future games ect...
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Never. I'm not capable of separating game elements apart and putting dollar values on them. A functioning game out of the box can be evaluated for a single amount before purchase and I like it that way. I also can't stand how the FTP model bring the concept of real-life transaction into the world of my games, I prefer to keep the act of buying games and playing games separate at all times.

It almost ruined Hawken for me.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i dont trust F2P games...

simple fact is that alot use gameplay design to make spending extra money nessecary to avoid grinding....i deplore this and so make the choice to avoid them.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I know it's not a FTP game, but I think I'd still do the same in a FTP game. I bought Bioware Credits to buy some stuff in ME3, simply because I was enjoying that game so much and though "Hey well, I think this would be a lot MORE fun if I was more equipped, even though I'm having such a good time now!" but if I was saying "I only feel like I could have fun if I spent money" then I won't spend money.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »

simple fact is that alot use gameplay design to make spending extra money nessecary to avoid grinding....i deplore this and so make the choice to avoid them.

Yes and no, what you are describing are play to win games. There are titles out there that you can enjoy without ever feeling you need to pay extra to do so.
    I know it's not a FTP game, but I think I'd still do the same in a FTP game. I bought Bioware Credits to buy some stuff in ME3, simply because I was enjoying that game so much and though "Hey well, I think this would be a lot MORE fun if I was more equipped, even though I'm having such a good time now!" but if I was saying "I only feel like I could have fun if I spent money" then I won't spend money.

Well no, that's DLC and completely different. And I would also argue that that's something you really shouldn't be supporting unless you really really want it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I feel the same way and weirdly enough I drop the ones that really put pressure on people or make purchasing an integral part of playing and the ones that I don't have to spend any money on, are the ones that I actually do give some money too.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i only spend money on permanent virtual goods. a lot of the time what's for sale is ephemeral vanity items or limited useage things, which my brain parses as having a price of infinity money since there isn't a roof on how much your can possibly spend for one thing.

i'd never ever pay to be able to skip gameplay elements. that's like paying to not play the game.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah what im saying is that those ones:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDHCMcdSVQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDHCMcdSVQ[/ame]

make me misstrust all of them, rightly or wrongly, my initial feeling is avoid.

EDIT - ive not had much time recently to play anything but iphone games on the bus ...so my veiwpoint is probably pretty skewed
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the dev side - the fans of the f2p mmos I work on currently are so much nicer and more appreciative of our work than what I've seen from subscription MMO fans. Any time there's an article talking about Wizard or Pirate, a small handful of people bash the game but the legion of fans come to our defense, it's basically the opposite of what I've experienced in the past.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try 'Subway Surfer' Shep. Great game.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I personally love the more multiplayer/mmo type games that have a good f2p system.
    so sorry for the long post, but I always see people dislike it, so wanted to give my opinion, as someone who does like them :p

You don't always have time to play a lot, sometimes you just have a hour or 2, or you just want to check out a new update.
    You can just play, and when you have some more time you drop some money on it.

I probably spent over a 100 euro on World of tanks, and I don't even play it that much.
    They do walk a fine line with their payment system (the grind with premium is still a bit much sometimes, garage slots, gold ammo, gold tanks), but it works.
    Here it's basicly a matter off, if you want to play this regular you just have to spend some money on it (premium), but I don't mind since it's a good game, and I have gotten more hours out of it then any singleplayer game, so I really don't regret spending money on it.

Another similar game that I tried out recently is hawken, and I saw someone else mention it.
    the payment system is actually really soft in that game with how fast you unlock things, the promo codes they give out and so on, and just the game mechanics, and how f2p is implemented, it's a really fair game in that regard.

So in this case I don't really feel the need to spend money on it, but I probably will.
    In this case more of a "support the developers thing".

It is also not like these games don't change, most of the time these games have a whole team behind it bringing new content/updates.
    The money to support that needs to come from somewhere.

So I don't see the difference in buying BF3 and all the DLC's, or buying a new Call of duty every couple of months or a mmo like WoW and dropping some money on a game like hawken/WoT/planetside/LoL/Dota/etc.
    Opinions differ ofcourse, but I just don't see why you wouldn't play the latter ones just because of the "f2p" tag on it.

I actually prefer them just because, if you want to you can just try the game out, and then spend some money on it, instead of having to pay 50 dollars just to be able to even try it.

-This is purely for multiplayer games, and I don't have any experience with small mobile micro-transaction games, so can't speak about those.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of Hawken my disapproval of F2P comes not just from my personal attitudes but because I was personally unaware that it was F2P until I got the Beta, making the fact a disappointment since I was looking forward to buying a whole game when it is finally released Gold. That and the fact that being a mech-game means customisation is an integral fun gameplay component; which is now behind a paywall.

As F2P games go it's still a pretty good game and the F2P components are pretty innocuous with hardly any Pay 2 Win problems at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what will $60 get you in Hawken? That's one thing I've noticed, investing the price of a full game typically makes you rich in f2p games.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I try not to play F2P games.

yes
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, as said other than the pay2win model being crap, the f2p ones where the grinding takes so much time it's no longer is fun but tedious.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Tribes Ascend did a pretty solid job or the free to play thing, bar a couple of exceptions (Needing to unlock the Soldier Spinfusor being probably the most notable). You got one of each type of player class and a decent set of weapons and items to start you out and then earned or bought others that for the most part gave you variations on play style as opposed to being objectively better.

The unlock rate via XP was a bit on the slow side initially, but that's since been reworked.

It's been a while since I've played, but I think I threw down about $30 all up for gold to buy items that I wanted to try and an XP booster. For a game that I was enjoying so much and putting so much time into, it didn't seem like an unreasonable ask.

I think TF2 is the only other free to play I've put any money into. My steam wallet currently contains $45 for a grenade launcher with christmas lights stuck on it that I sold on the Steam Marketplace, the initial cost of which was a $2 crate key.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I feel the same way and my bias is even worse for mobile games because I've been burned a few times paying for "pro" versions of games that turn into f2p carrot chases later, or f2p games that reinvent their gameplay and monetization models every couple of months to try to make more money that completely changes the way the game works.

It's extremely frustating spending cash on a game only to realize in a few months you have to buy more because they've changed their monetization.

I know people complain about DLC but I like it all the same.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Andreas wrote: »
    Yes and no, what you are describing are play to win games. There are titles out there that you can enjoy without ever feeling you need to pay extra to do so.

Well no, that's DLC and completely different. And I would also argue that that's something you really shouldn't be supporting unless you really really want it.

That's true, amd I would usually not buy something like that, but after 4 years. and so much invested time into ME, I just couldn't stop -sobs-
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what will $60 get you in Hawken? That's one thing I've noticed, investing the price of a full game typically makes you rich in f2p games.

Unfortunately I'm just too orthodox to consider it worthwhile. I simply don't separate bits of the game that way. I don't want to have $x of stuff in the game, I want to pay $x for the game. I understand that developers want to create more content for you to buy after release and for me that is DLC and Expansions rather than individual objects. It may sound like splitting hairs but I just don't see how a virtual item can be weighed in real dollars, there's no exchange rate for it.

That and being reminded that finance is a component of gameplay just gives me the willies. When I see another player with something that you have to buy and can't earn I don't really mind; jealous? Maybe but it's their own business and I'm not interested in getting in their way. What does get me is that when I see them I will always sub-consciously be reminded that they have it because they bought it, a though that just breaks the enjoyment of being there in the game.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Never. Fight the system :|
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I honestly will fight free to play unless somebody can actually convince me of where free to play has improved games, either in story, game play or immersion.

This is disregarding what you prefer your game delivery method to be. So if you like playing free stuff great, you might play it because it is free but does it critically make the game better?

Its a flawed system in my mind unless you can work out how to actually improve game-play with it. There's just too many concessions you have to make to make it work to do it well.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well multiplayer only games were not faring well at all before F2P. The only major successes in recent years were L4D and TF2, and L4D had to be massively marked down in order to get people to buy it. It's tough to sell a multiplayer only game without a pre-existing community and it's hard to build one without giving the game away.

Because of that I'm not sure games like LOL would have even been made without the rise of F2P. So maybe it hasn't really improved the games but it's spawned games that might otherwise not exist without it.

But as we all know, not all F2P models are the same and some are shittier than others, if not downright detrimental to the game.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Well multiplayer only games were not faring well at all before F2P. The only major successes in recent years were L4D and TF2, and L4D had to be massively marked down in order to get people to buy it. It's tough to sell a multiplayer only game without a pre-existing community and it's hard to build one without giving the game away.

Because of that I'm not sure games like LOL would have even been made without the rise of F2P. So maybe it hasn't really improved the games but it's spawned games that might otherwise not exist without it.

But as we all know, not all F2P models are the same and some are shittier than others, if not downright detrimental to the game.

Umm.. Battlefield 3. I would like the data where you cite this from.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Umm.. Battlefield 3. I would like the data where you cite this from.

You're right, Battlefield 3 didn't have a single player campaign at all.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Has Anyone here played clash of clans? i fucking love that game but its one of the worst when it comes to free to play micro-transaction bullshit though :(

have spent 0$ on it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Bibendum wrote: »

Well that's exactly what i was saying, i have no qualms with agreeing that some of these games would not have existed.

But at what cost? it's eroding good game design.

Look at airmech, a while back it used to be fun when it had a limited unit set, now its a clown car full of skins and units just there for people to buy. How do you balance a roster of a hundred units that only paying people can get and make it fair for everyone. I can't help but feel that everyone treats f2p design as damage control, pr minimizing the effects of it.

I think the only thing i can think of where real money can improve a game would be online gambling, as it makes it more real, as it i s real. But then how much of a game is it anymore?

One thing i have been thinking about with a game i want to make is perhaps having the multi player element completely free to play, but also have a kick-arse story mode which is what you pay for. I see that as possibly a good compromise, as you get the benefit of the massive player base from free, and a fair and value giving way to support the devs and get more from the game.