Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Churchill Mark IV - Intro to 3D Modelling First Year Project

Hey everyone, this is my first post here on poly count!

I am taking a Computer Games Design course in which I am studying a Introduction to 3D Modelling (1b) module.

As apart of the course I am required to get feedback from the internet so any feedback you could give - postive and negative would be great!

(This is my first time modelling in general so I'm rather happy how well this has turned out, though I am aware it could be improved drastically :D)

Normal Map
tank-n_zps5ec87c72.jpg[/URL]

Specular Map
tank-s_zps15315239.jpg

Diffuse Map (with Ambient Occlusion)
tank-d_zpse4c8c7ce.jpg

Final Low Poly Model - with Maps on
Tank_Render_zpsfd43b411.jpg

High Poly Model
RightView_zps66f8ce4d.jpg

LeftView_zpsceec0297.jpg

To anyone that comments thanks in advance, it'd mean a lot to get some feedback. After I've finished with the course next week I will be improving my tank with any feedback I get to improve upon my modelling skills so all feedback will be used :)

Thanks polycount!

iNathanM

Replies

• VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks decent for your first model, however unless it's for a mobile game the textures look a bit low-res, specially the diffuse.
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with VESIUS it is a good first model but if you want some feedback about the modeling I'd show up the wireframe, you need to watch out for the texture resolution.

Good first work overall! :)
  • iNathanM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :) I'll throw up an image tomorrow of the tank with a wireframe... I need to find out from a lecturer how to do that within 3DS Max!
  • iNathanM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wireframe5_zpsb0d7d15a.jpg

wireframe4_zps253fbb07.jpg

wireframe3_zps113ce378.jpg

wireframe2_zps5562e128.jpg

wireframe1_zpsd71377d8.jpg

Here are wireframed versions on top of my actual tank. Hopefully this will allow you guys to add some feedback on how things were modelled. Please keep the feedback coming it's been good so far - if there are any other things you have noticed please do say I need a bit more feedback for my report :)
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    You have N-gons in there which you shouldn't either make them into quads or tris. You also have most of your polys in the small details and not enough in the large pieces. Your normal map really isn't doing a whole lot for it. To reduce polys you could have used an alpha for the tread as the tread is eating up a lot of your polys. I also agree that the texture size doesn't seem large enough. Looking at the tank as a whole the texture looks muddy and blurry. It also appears that you have inconsistent proportions on your UVs where the wheels are getting a lot more texture space than a good chunk of the body. When Unwrapping it is a good idea to try to keep the UVs proportional to each other.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Being a intro class though it looks nice :) keep up the good work
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like u got 1k map...2k might have done more justice...but still...1k wouldn't give this much blurriness.looks like u haven't configured ur video card driver setting in max...viewport setting
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The road wheels really seem to be eating up an excessive number of polygons. I'd leave the top of the cylinders as solid, with the normal map supplying the more complex geometry. Depending on the final scene, you can probably limit them to cylinders with 8 or at most 12 sides, rather than the 20 you are currently using.

The tread shape is very odd. The treads should be tight, bending only when forced by the various wheels. You have distinct curves in the front and especially the rear that shouldn't be there. Part of the problem is an incorrect shape, part is caused by missing drive and recovery wheels. Take a closer look at your source to see how the track is actually shaped.
    churchill2.gif

Treads can really be modeled as solid ribbons for most applications, animating the UVs to show movement. Most of the geometry can be shown with a simple alpha mask, although a normal map might be needed if the camera is going to be doing an extreme close-up of the treads. Most models use a smaller (e.g. 128 or 256) texture for the treads to simplify the animation.

On the texture overall, I'd really tone down the variations; aside from surface details (e.g. hatch lines) and insignia, you just won't see much variation from the base color. A subtle cloud overlay on top of the base color would probably serve you better than the current mottled appearance. I'd also add lines to show the surface details, and look into adding appropriate insignia to provide some color. If you have time to add weathering, try to look at actual war-time photos of similar vehicles.
  • iNathanM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone it has been really useful. I'm going to work on improving things over the holidays - hopefully I can sort out my UV Unwraps so that the texture quality is much better... I did seem to make smaller things bigger in the UV editor for some reason.