Home Technical Talk

Blender create 2D Dungeon?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Zoja polycounter lvl 6
Hi community. I am curious wether it is possible to create with Blender games, I saw already that some people do it. My questions are: is blender alone enough to create a simple game? Something like a 2D Dungeon? If yes
some of you know where to start learining it?

I have some experience with blender and photoshop in modeling sculpting texturing etc. I also saw a few times how to animate, but never came in contact with the game engine. Thanks to all.

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    With the game engine you will need to know some Python coding. You can do a decent amount with some of the visual blocks they offer, but a knowledge of Python would help you to get deeper into it. (it would also make it easier for you to develop your own UI tools)

I'm not sure what you mean by a 2D dungeon? Would that be more of a Zelda-esque game, or a Wizardry-style 1st-person RPG?
  • Zoja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
    like a zelda game and I have some python and java knowledge, but really not much^^
    The question is wether it makes sence to use blender for it and is it possible to make it in 2D?
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Edit: Wrong thread! Was meant to go to the Thread of Awesomeness :-)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly, its not going to make sense to make a game in blender, at least with where Blender and its game engine is right now. It can be useful for say prototyping, but you have so many more options, better options, that are available.

I would recommend starting off with Unity instead.
  • Zoja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
    thanks to all, so I better search a good 2D game engine which is good for dungeons like zelda, so unity is a good one?