Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for critique

Replies

• STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Hey this is looking good, I did a paintover to show what i think could be done to improve the texture a bit.

-Colors were getting a little muddy in areas, so i put in more saturation in areas that needed it.

-BEVELS are your best friend, try to define them as much as possible, it shows construction which is important when doing handpainted textures.

-I managed your temperature in your colors a bit to warm to cool top to bottom. same goes your value, i try to make the viewer look at whats most important top to bottom etc.

-careful on how you treat your materials. make sure the metal has more spec than wood.

Rough paintover incoming!
    ipbFjG.gif
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you so much! Terrabit and Striker, you guys are awesome!

@Terrabite - I was bleeding the texture by hand. Do you mean to clean up the uv's for presentation?

@Striker - Thanks so much, Paintovers are super helpful to me. I'll give this a shot and post to see if I've gotten it. :)
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    Np! And you shouldn't bleed anything by hand. You can do it automatically in 3d Coat when you export textures. When you're ready to export a texture, just go to Textures > Export > Diffuse Map > Save the file somewhere and hit 'Yes' when it asks if you want to fill in empty parts of the texture. :)

If you don't use 3d Coat, it's one of the best tools for painting directly on your model. You should get it! ^_^
  • BronxBomber
    I like the shape and overall design, but I also think it could use a keystone. I think you are having some mapping issues , the vines are kinda choppy and look a bit out of place. The texture looks great though.
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    TerraBite wrote: »
    You're definitely making good progress! :)

I made a quick little gif on how I present my UVs. It's a little easier to look at and understand how the flats were textured. I'd also suggest saving your images out as higher quality JPGs or PNGs so they're nice and crisp! I hope that helps!

Also, are you bleeding these textures by hand?

QpbkBI.gif

I would argue that you should present your textures the way they are. To me, when I see the "cleaned up" version it doesn't tell me that the person who made it knows that you should blend/extend the edges, it just looks like they painted within the lines. If you really want to make it clear where the uvs are, add an outline for the uv islands or have the uvs overlaid very faintly. It might not look as neat but to me it shows that you know what you're doing...
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel wrote: »
    I would argue that you should present your textures the way they are. To me, when I see the "cleaned up" version it doesn't tell me that the person who made it knows that you should blend/extend the edges, it just looks like they painted within the lines. If you really want to make it clear where the uvs are, add an outline for the uv islands or have the uvs overlaid very faintly. It might not look as neat but to me it shows that you know what you're doing...

This is not something anyone should use for final texture for an in-game asset, it's just to show UVs and textures at the same time for a clean presentation. :)

Here's an awesome example! It's clean, shows the use of UV space, and it's easier to read.

fOp3My.jpg
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Holy Cow! That Allods dagger is awesome! I love me some Avery art. I think you have done a really good job of translating his concept to 3d. I would deff do what Striker suggested for the overall colors and feel. Here is a really quick paint over of some shape language I think that might help improve the asset. I would prob even push it further than what I painted.Its just my 2 cents though.

paintover.jpg
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback! Here is my effort to recreate the critique :)

SwordFinal2.jpgWoodTrimmedSword2_D.jpg
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    And yeah Terrabite! I will be getting 3D coat asap, I'm super excited to use that program! :D
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    TerraBite wrote: »
    This is not something anyone should use for final texture for an in-game asset, it's just to show UVs and textures at the same time for a clean presentation. :)

How can I tell if someone who presents their work with the cleaned up meathod knows about blending? If you present your work as the cleaned up version, there's nothing telling me that the texture actually has blending etc. All I see is a very tightly painted texture, unless you show both or add text saying the texture is actually blended. It just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary in my opinion.
  • MephistonX
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    you can automatically bleed edges with the edge dilation filter, that you get for photoshop when you install xnormal - does a great job and is free!
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel wrote: »
    How can I tell if someone who presents their work with the cleaned up meathod knows about blending? If you present your work as the cleaned up version, there's nothing telling me that the texture actually has blending etc. All I see is a very tightly painted texture, unless you show both or add text saying the texture is actually blended. It just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary in my opinion.

@urgaffel: Exactly! But she has shown both blended and non-blended UV sheets in her previous posts, so I know she does bleed her textures. I was only showing her a way that I post for presentation as I stated in the gif. :)

@StephLee: That's looking awesome! If anything, try pushing the values back on the wood so that the blade pops more. Other than that, great job! :D
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critique guys! You're really awesome! I'm starting my first weapon sculpt, but it's going to take me a while, I've only just started and I feel like I'm struggling a little bit. But this is what I'm trying to do.

VideoGameArt_DarksidersII_Weapons01_JonathanKirtz.jpg

The gauntlet on the top left of the screen.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    GauntletsWIP.jpg

Day 1 of efforts xD
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    CommonGauntletBlue.jpg

CommonGauntletsSculpt.jpg

Here's my sculpt, I'm going to start on the re-topology.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP_1.jpg

I got some advice on my sculpt and I decided to scrap it and start over. I'm making it from different polys and sub tools this time to make it cleaner. Here's my wip, I also got goz to work!
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    That does look like it will give you a cleaner scuplt. It's good to know when to scrap something and start over and when to push on :)
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks urgaffel :)

Here's another update, I just finished my sculpt, I am ready to retopo.

GauntletSculpt.jpg
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    You've showed lots of progress and the weapons/shield look great! Looking forward to seeing you learn and grow in zbrush skills as well.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    @oxygencube - Thank you so much!

Here is my first pass on the gauntlet FINALLY! I took way longer then intended on this piece. Did a sculpt, bake and diffuse. Concept by the Darksiders team.

CommonGauntletBlue.jpg
    GauntletDiffuse.jpg
    Gauntlet1stPass.jpg
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's my next WIP. Working on a book prop, the design is from a concept for class accessories in WoW. I have set up deadlines for the next couple months so that I can put together a proper portfolio. I'll be doing this piece only for a couple more days before I start on the next one. But I will be touching up all of the pieces I want to use for my portfolio before putting them up proper to showcase.

Book_WIP.jpg
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!  After a super long hiatus.  I am an intern at OMNOM and have been since last February!  Here's something I've been noodling on this month and the concept.

• StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    I should add the concept is not mine, but is Mike Franchina's.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on this for a little over a week.  Man, I need to practice my metals a lot more.  This is another WIP, totally coming back to this.  Moving onto an demonic treasure chest first.  :D

Concept by Kozivara.  http://kozivara.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-guns-279705493
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    My next WIP is going to be the treasure chest.  Will eventually do the entire scene, but since I've only given myself a week for this piece I will only do the Chest for now.  Concept art was done by Avery Coleman.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my sculpt!  I have changed the chains back to being blocky, instead of what you see here.  Just finished baking and I'm starting on the Diffuse tomorrow.  This goopy gummed creature has been a ton of fun to work on.  I also learned that Silo makes your model incredibly tiny.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished another piece, 

and here's the paintover that Avery did for me

I'll give it a polish pass in a little bit with the feedback I receive for it.  Along with all my other pieces that I've done for the past month or so.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message

MonsterTreeWIP.  It took me some time to figure out how to treat the grass to fit this scene.   I think I've got it, or at least am going in the right direction.
    Concept below done by Mike Franchina.

• Eric Chadwick
    These are great, loving the style you've got going on!

The monster lockbox could use varying line weights, for example around the teeth the shading is very even, which tends to flatten it out. Experiment with thinner weight at the tooth roots, vs. thicker weight at the tooth tips, or vice versa.

For the grass, look into bent vertex normals. Looks like you might be using 3ds Max, so it's the Edit Normals modifier.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Foliage#Vertex_Normals

These pieces look like they could really benefit from a rim light in the shader. Certainly the tree diorama. Have you tried Shader FX in Max, or UE4's material editor, or Shader Forge in Unity? Really pretty easy for artists to make neat stuff, and there are a lot of screenshots of people's shader graphs on the web for easy reference. I recently made a rim shader for work, the shader graph is here.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message

Got a Paintover from Avery Coleman for my Dragon Dungeon entrance, so  the one on the left is what I'm shooting for!  Here goes nothing!

Thanks a ton Chadwick!  I'll make those changes to the Monster Chest!  
  • mon246
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    StephLee said:

I think this looks great but its a little obvious that the top part of the tree is just copied and dragged up from the piece below it, and this takes away from the project. I'd recommend tweaking/rotating the top one slightly so that they don't look identical.

As for the grass, I think it could look better but I can't really put my finger on how. It looks a but too "hand painted" for me. Maybe experiment with a darker shade of green for the ends? EDIT: Or maybe the grass isn't even the problem here. Maybe I'm getting this feeling because the earth texture is just a flat colour. It might look better with a more detailed earth texture.

Otherwise I think it looks fantastic and is really eye catching!
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message

Here's my polished Dragon Dungeon Entrance!  Going to polish the Monster Chest next.  I've started an Artstation to put my polish pieces on, and actually have a portfolio to show people.  I'm going to keep posting work here for feedback though to push things further.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/aurora001
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    It's been really cool watching the progress you're making, and I'm in love with your hand painted textures. You're really talented :)
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gfelton :)
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message

Finally got him all polished up!  Next piece I'm going back to, for a polish pass, is the gun.  Thanks for all the feedback on these guys!

https://www.artstation.com/artist/aurora001
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message

Here's a wip I've been working on based on Avery's concept.  I still want to add a cloth texture to the robes and the destruction symbol to his chest plate.  Trying to figure out that out right now.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, last post was in February, I need to up my game.  Anyways, I'm trying to learn Substance and so, this is what I've got.  Next step is following some tutorials to get this guy rigged and moving in Skyrim.
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't been on here in quite a while, trying to get back into the swing of things.  Here's a Headhunter I've been working on.  

• StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working hard on this lady, I have a lot more time to focus for the next few months.  Going to try and be more active on here :)
    I've got a list of feedback on how to improve her, and what to do next time.  Just posting her here to show progress for now. 

• StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on this guy, only taking him to sculpt.  Wanted to try my hand at making a mini and it'll be used for my husband's homebrew so that'll be fun if it works out :)