Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - RE-birth - Team Bushido

Furie
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Furie polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone.
This is our first post on Polycount, and we humbly present our entry to the contest.

We are a five man team:

Pietro Scola Di Mambro - Concept Artist - http://spikesdm.deviantart.com/
Giuliano Fazzini - 3D Artist - last year student at AIV - http://www.aiv01.it/
Stefano Rossi - 3D Artist - same as above
Simone Silvestri - 3D Artist - ""
Irene Curreli - Texture Artist - ""

Project: RE-birth.
The scene is set in a post apocalyptic future, three hundred years from now. The world has gone under a "quiet apocalypse", where mankind gradually turned sterile and slowly risked extintion. The world is now dominated by mother nature and its creatures. The once unrivaled hunter has become an easy prey for the new beasts that evolved in the void left by humanity.
Cities are in ruins and the very few people alive have to struggle against a dangerous environment and a new born menace.

The only technology available is now powered by a natural gas that has replaced electric power, but the side effects are deadly. The human system can't handle the gas for long, if used too much it will kill skin cells and damage the whole body. Those who use this technologies are called Techno-mancers, and they pose a threat to the few survivors left, as the gas will make their behaviour herratic and aggressive.

Our protagonist is a girl who learned how to survive in the hard way. But she is no common human, her system is completely immune to the gas effects, which makes her invaluable to the survival of her village and at the same time a target for all the Techno-mancers. This immunity may also be the key for the rebirth of humankind.
In the scene she is fleeing from one of the new-born beasts of the 24th century.

Concepts:

This is the first sketch of our environment. We are still figuring out what to put on the right side, maybe a Tube entrance or some monument.
Wdw6jVp.jpg

Here is the first concept of the beast chasing our protagonist, with some references. This is going to change, since we're not still happy with the overall features.
cWjNK4L.jpg

And finally the protagonist in two different WIP shots, as you can see she has a lots of gadgets, an hatchet made with a motorcycle spare parts, three little bombs made of natural minerals and a whiplash with three hooks at the end, which she moslty uses as a mean of movement. She also has parts of technologies, on the knee, a speed enhancer, and on the feet, a jump enhancer. Also notice the three bandanas on the left arm. Those, in this new world, are used to mourn the dead. Blue bandanas for family, Red bandanas for friends, Black bandanas for honorable enemies. Only when you have moved on you can finally remove them.
cVK2K0e.jpg
acvVhaD.jpg

References:
We used both The Last of Us and the new Tomb Raider as references for the concept, also a little bit of Crysis 3. But we hope to deliver something original and with some depth.

Thanks for reading the whole textwall (sorry!), and see you soon with all the updates on our work!

-Team Bushido

Replies

• Furie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Furie polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, my name is Giuliano and I'll be in charge of the sculpting, retopology and binding of our female character.

3tOde5F.jpg

Being my first time sculpting a female body, as a personal exercise I decided to spend some time on the anatomy itself even though most of the body will not be visible in the final model.

I will start on the clothes and the accessories as soon as possible as we are definitely behind schedule.

Updates on the environment and the beast will hopefully come soon.