Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mumbo's Mountain UDK

Hey PolyCount

I have been working on this environment for a while now and would love some feedback, I feel there is still a good bit of work that needs to go into this project, but I would just appreciate some critique.

I am remaking part of Mumbo's Mountain from Banjo Kazooie. This is the area I am focusing on.
Banjo-Kazooie%2520%2528E%2529%2520%2528M3%2529%2520%2520snap0002.jpg

I have almost all of the assets modelled and placed in the engine.

Skull.jpg

I wanted to make a Bamboo forest that would surround the level, although this has turned out to be quite tricky, and fairly expensive resource wise. I'm also not 100% sure on the colour of the bamboo stems, I think they may be a bit too bright. I opted to have a fog volume behind the bamboo, and a particle system to make the fog seem less static.

Forest.jpg

An individual tree.
Tree.jpg
And a patch of grass.
Untitled-1.jpg

After taking this screenshot I have noticed that the stone steps, and the totem are a bit too similarly textured and will probably be changing this.

Center.jpg

Hut.jpg

This is the level as a whole, still WIP, but I would appreciate feedback!

Whole.jpg

Thanks

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 14
    It is very interesting yet odd to see a more realistic take on these assets. What made you decide upon this style?

I would definitely revise the texture on the skull, I would definitely not mirror it. It is one of the largest and most important assets in your scene, and as this is just a personal piece you don't have such stringent limitations to necessitate such an aesthetic sacrifice.

Also, shouldn't the skull (Mumbo's hut) have an entrance of some sort? Maybe have the lower jaw open or removed?
  • Dannyman3
    I decided to use a more realistic style for the assets because I quite modern adaptation of old games/icons. I will be putting some more work into the skull and removing the mirroring!

And yes there should be a door in the skull, although I wasn't sure if it would detract from the more realistic design of the skull having a doorway in the mouth. I will make a few designs and see what I come up with.

I shall post back with my progress.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 14
    I like modern adaptations too. But to me, that would mean maintaining the style, but bringing the assets to a next-gen level. I also like realistic adaptations of previously very stylized things. But this feels like some odd mix of the two. We get a realistic looking skull instead of the stylized hut, yet it still has a bright yellow texture and crooked chimney, with a bright glowing Jiggy floating in there. To me, it is just a strange incongruity.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, I just think the design decisions are a little odd. Anyway, I look forward to seeing any updates!
  • Dannyman3
    I understand what you mean, and it is probably an aspect of the design I should have thought over a little more thoroughly during planning. I would consider creating stylized content to be a weak point for myself, and I guess I just went with what I felt most confident with.

And I am happy with any feedback I get, however critical, as long as it's constructive!