Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Native American Chief (God of Humility)

Hey polycount, I'm doing a character assignment at school and the criteria are those of the 2010 dominance war. Looking for crits regarding my anatomy at this stage
iRGqDSR.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alex_John_Ramsey
    aorJ9XS.jpg
    Here you go Teriyaki Style
  • Alex_John_Ramsey
    JFTKpsD.jpg
    Still needs some stronger form in the mouth and cheeks, and then another detail pass overall.

Don't know how to approach hair ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like you're jumping forward in subdivisions too fast. I feel like it's missing some major landmarks of the bone structure, leading to the proportions being off.

Also, keep in mind that with older people, the elastin and other connective issues break down as they age, making the forms more susceptible to gravity and folding based on where they rest.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You really should narrow down "native American" to a specific tribe or at least region - there's a lot of variety from Aleuts to Seminoles. Clothes, customs, and physical appearance differ greatly amongst the various nations. Skin tone varies, in general getting darker in the more southern tribes, from light-skinned Iroquois to darker Navajo.
  • Alex_John_Ramsey
    Appreciate it guys, I'm Australian so it didn't even occur to me the variety of the Native American subgroups there would be considering how large the Americas are, I'll definitely try to find some more specific reference images, as far as the proportions I don't have a very strong traditional art background, What are the biggest problem areas? in everyone that sees this' opinion.

As far as making him older, I definitely planned to pass over and age him with some brushwork, for my own sake I needed to focus on roughing in the muscle groups in a more general way before focusing on wrinkling and stuff. Definitely been a challenge so far.. Any major tips as to how to rectify this stuff would be awesome :D Cheers for feedback
  • Alex_John_Ramsey
    GlN4res.png
    Although there's still heaps of issues that need to be addressed I need to be animating him in 3 weeks so I need to move on from sculpting soon.