Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Floor

DeathMethod
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DeathMethod polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone. Ive been struggling with hand painted textures for a while, on and off and just wanted to share my latest image.

stone_floor.jpg

If anyone has any opinions on how I could improve on this, that would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    when tiled, those cracks will give it away asap.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Do a levels adjustment and crunch the levels together then bring down the brightness. Start with that then sharpen things up. It's all looking real soft atm.
  • DeathMethod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sf2.jpg

Ive adjusted the levels a bit, which i've never done before so it was a bit new. is this what you were talking about?
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, looks good with the color variation and highlights.

The thing with tiled textures is details have to be spread evenly and randomly in order to avoid obvious seams. You solved the problem with the cracks by removing them, which is effective, but you could have also spread cracks across the whole texture and made it more interesting. When spreading details out in tiled textures, make sure some details make it over the seam. I still do this where I stay away from the edges when painting and then I see it on a flat plane and go "OH F*&$%", but as long as you're working in layers, you're fine :P.

You'll want to look at these recorded workshops from my school (I find myself linking them a lot here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFKEvH6ZJA

The second one will probably help you more for this particular texture.

Keep it up!
  • DeathMethod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Snafubar7. Will give them a watch!
  • DeathMethod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched the videos, which I can not be thankful enough for. They were really informative and a lot of fun to do. Hopefully my level of work has improved.
    floor1.jpg

wall1.jpg
    wall2.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as always. Thankyou.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    What I find dangerous is that in your last image of the arch, the light source is coming from the top left. Unfortunately, this only works if your light sources match up in texture and in engine. What I would suggest is moving the light source to the top of your texture sheet and make it much more versatile.

The other concern is how deep that arch recesses into the wall. It is set up to be viewed only from head on, and at a height of dead-center. Furthermore, for something that thick, I'd model out the detail rather than having it as a single texture sheet because looking at it from the side is going to really ruin your depth.