Home Unreal Engine

Particle system colliding within a container

Okay so here is my query, I am trying to create a glowing particle system within a lantern. Basically I want there to be a main particle system and then have particles coming off the main particle and collide with the glass of the lantern. Right now there is no custom collision on the glass besides just the one UDK put on.

Do I have to create a custom collision for the glass that does not cover the inside?

I have everything working but the collision.

Dilkesy

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    So it is a cylinder pretty much, and you need particles coming from outside the lantern to not go through the glass? And you don't want those particles to collide with anything else in the world? I don't quite get the whole setup. If you have a picture or such that can help.

How many lanterns will you have? Because particle collision is not light, if you have more than say 10 to 20 lanterns in the level I would really try to do this some other way.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Do you actually want them to 'collide'? Or just 'stop'? If you just want them to stop then you can put a kill-box node in your particle effect to keep the particles from going outside/inside a certain volume.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if i was unclear. Basically i have the lantern held in the characters hand and i want a particle system within the glass that collides off of the inside of the glass and bounces around for abit, then obviously dies out.

And there will only be one lantern
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    If it is just one lantern it is just fine.
    I would make a collision for the inside of the glass yeah, as well as its outsides (maybe not needed dependent on how it works). Do you know how to make custom collisions? Do you know how to enable collision on particles?
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't know how to make custom collisions but it's a simple collision tab on the particles