Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Revolver

Hello Polycount :)
I have been holding my hand to posting my stuffs in polycount for a long time
and barely started sketchbook thread few days ago.

I have never studied painting and Photoshop until 2 years ago, before I came to America.
But I feel like that I'm prepared to move forward to study more about hand painted environments and props.

So here is the small project that I started.
As a big fan of World of Warcraft, I thought it might be really cool idea to create a revolver that is fully done in hand-painted textures,
because; I have never seen a revolver in wow.

For the clear idea and designs, I started with the quick pen sketch and re-painted and designed the revolver in Photoshop.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119182

7f9WIW2.jpg
G65Y0ZZ.jpg

w8vYI2O.jpg
I'm currently working on the low poly, and probably will finish unwrapping UVs tonight. :)

Any tips and advice are always welcome :thumbup:

Replies

• JoshuaMorrisonInk
    The lowpoly looks a little dense in some areas like the handle and the bottom end of the front of the barrel. I would try and distributed your polys a little more evenly across the model. However your concept is very nice and stylized. I really enjoy the top one. The barrel could use a little more details on the top toward the front.

Can't wait to see it finished.
  • 3D_Chae
    JoshuaMorrisonlnk
    Thanks for the tip and advice :) After your comment,
    I noticed how my polys were unevenly distributed and needed more details in front.
    I'll definely fix it hahaha

z3HUuz2.jpg

But the first lesson that I learned today. Save it...
  • DWalker
    3ds Max does auto-save, however, so you shouldn't lose more than a few minutes work. You can change the save interval and number of back-up files under Customize->Preferences->Files. I personally use 15 minutes and 3 files.
  • Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Lovely concepts, Watching this :D
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I'm not a gun expert, but shouldn't there be space behind the trigger so it can be pulled back?
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, your painting style is perfect! I can't wait to see the final!
  • 3D_Chae
    Thanks for the kind word everyone :)
    pixelb - Thanks for the feedback hahaha. Yes somehow I totally forgot about the triggers. I'm thinking about to either show most of details through out the diffuse and specular map. hahaha

TtRu7WI.jpg
    Right now, I think low poly is done. I already finished the UV unwrap too :)
    Time to start working on the texture!

Any tips and advice are always welcome
  • 3D_Chae
    Good morning everyone :)

Here's my day1 texture work in progress (WIP) screenshot
    without light and shadow :):thumbup:
    There are still a lot of things to do hahahaha.
    aI6AU9P.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Push the forms more on the model! Make the cylinder larger. The trigger curl is too much. You'd cut your finger. Add some details on the barrel.
  • BrianSegs
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianSegs polycounter lvl 8
    Sick design and painting. Skills! I cant wait to see how it turns out.
    Keep going!!!
  • 3D_Chae
    Hahaha hello everyone :)
    Sorry about the late respawns hahaha. After Saturday class was done I passed out infront of my computer hahaha. Anyways...

BrianSegs - thank you hahaha. Yet, I don't know how it will end but yes I'll keep working on it until I feel like it's done :)

Jeff Parrott - Yes you are right! I should push more of the forms and shapes!
    I fixed the trigger curl, and made the cylinder a bit more larger than original one. For the barrel part, I'll might start working on it tomorrow. :)

And here is the another work in progress (WIP) screenshot
    RRWWiKo.jpg
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Ooh the shape of the new model is awesome, so much better!
  • 3D_Chae
    Hello everyone!
    Hahaha I haven't posted my works seems my mid-term is getting close to the end.
    So far, I tried my best to work on my gun whenever
    I had some free times after my personal studies, which you can find in my sketchbook thread :)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119182

U3MU6vC.jpg

Also, here's my work in progress texture :)
    I'm planning to make it below 256 or 512
    XJRSWxJ.jpg
    Barrel still need more details and I can see some shadow problems.
    I learned some new techniques few days ago and I'm trying to apply it to my gun haha.

oRs3LkW.jpg
    Also this is one of my mid-term homework that
    I have to make texture and rigging in two days hahaha....
    This is my second time doing the character,
    but i'm trying to make it in low poly with hand painted textures.

Again, any tips and advice are always welcome ! :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    3D_Chae wrote: »
    Also this is one of my mid-term homework that
    I have to make texture and rigging in two days hahaha....
    This is my second time doing the character,
    but i'm trying to make it in low poly with hand painted textures.

Again, any tips and advice are always welcome ! :)

Oh man, that's not really enough time to do a fully painted character texture! :poly122:

With that short of a timeline, I would go for a very simple texture style, using an ambient bake and gradients for shading, and using gradient maps to get attractive coloring. Gradient maps are awesome, because you're able to hand-pick hues for the highlights, midtones and shadows separately, which gives you much tastier colors than simple overlay or multiply color layers.

Be sure to leave at least half of your remaining time for rigging, especially if you haven't done it before.