Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Master Study: Perseus

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Charlie23 polycounter lvl 10
I am doing a master study of Cellini's Perseus with the Head of Medusa.

Here's some reference I'm working from (not all but... look it up:))

VhmkuB2.jpg

Ulkvlih.jpg

Did some mini studies
Zb4EBoCh.jpg

gNdh91eh.jpg

JZKlMASh.png

vtnmOJHh.png

And one week in. CRITIQUES and suggestions pleeeease!

FFYpUC2h.jpg
yes... critiques please.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The original statue gives a feeling of youth that I'm just not getting from either your sketches or your (admittedly early) model. Part of it is his body shape; in the statue, he is very thin - not emaciated, but his ribs are clearly visible, as though he has just gone through his growth spurt and hasn't yet begun to bulk up. The other part is his face - the statue is of a beardless youth, clearly, but also unlined and with a trace of baby fat still present.

On the other hand, your medusa seems a bit thinner than the original, although it is hard to tell.

He's missing his winged sandals and winged helm - I don't know if this is an oversight, or if you just haven't gotten to them yet.

His feet, especially the raised left foot, seem wrong. The toes look like cylinders just stuck on to the basic shape, and the foot itself seems too thick. If you look closely at the original, you'll see the toes have a great deal of individual personality, and are realistically posed.
    Cellinis-Perseus-with-the-Head-of-Medusa-David.jpg

Finally, medusa seems to be wearing thigh highs - there's a distinct seam at about the mid thigh, and the remainder of the leg is darker.
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker thanks for the critique!
    Yes I agree for the most part with your assessment. Hopefully some of the things you mentioned (like both body shapes) will be dealt with as I actually start sculpting the muscle structure and details. I think I'm going to completely redo Medusa's head and as for her legs- they are actually separate right now (that's an easy zbrush fix) that's why they have that seam and are a different color.

The hat and and wing booties are on the way I didn't forget about them but they can be sculpted separately. I was wondering if you see any major discrepancies in the overall silhouette?

Thanks again!
    -Charlie
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit further along on this guy. Comments?! Thanks!

5LB7yF5.jpg
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... a lot of little things to finish up on this guy but let's post this anyway!

cH93KKS.png
    0VpHqmu.png
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not the best critic on anatomy-studies, but this looks superb! I really like your process too, very welcoming!
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks! This was a great learning experience. Very challenging indeed. Again- much appreciated.
  • Ray13009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray13009 polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, your work on this statue is really very good. Passionate about this statue since my trip to Firenze, I have been looking for this 3D model for quite a while. Would the 3D file be available for free or for a fee?