Home Unreal Engine

MacroUV for Static Mesh

Dee
Hello,

I am looking for a ways to eliminate the grid line pattern on this gold coin mass. The solution I was thinking about was to apply a flow map ontop on a big scale, UVed 1 to 1.

4s0l6t.jpg

35d8fgm.jpg

2ia32hd.jpg

The problem is that the texture applied to this mesh is tiled quite a lot, my flow map also gets tiled. The question is how do I make a macroUV that transcends the tiling for a staticmesh, I know its possible for particles, Bill have done it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    2 options:

-In your modelling package add a new UV set that maps the whole mesh in the square(or just use the lightmap uv set if the seams are well placed).
    Add a "TexCoord" node and set the "Coordinate index" to the uv set you want. (and keep in mind udk starts at 0, in contrary to max wich starts at 1).

-Use the world coordinate node (maybe less good, since it's generally more helpfull for tiling textures, but you could probably set the value so it's just the texture on the whole mesh).

I don't know if it's the correct way but this worked for me:
    Put the world position node into a component mask node (RG), and then divide that by a scalar value (your tiling), and then feed that into the uv slot of your texture

or a completely different option, remove the dark part of the texture that makes the tiling obvious, and depending on how closely this is seen (is the player walking on it, or seeing it from a distance?) actually scale it larger then coins would be, so that they are still distinguishable at a larger distance.
  • Dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dee
    Wow that was quick joeriv.

I will try out the first method as it seems the thing Im looking for.

The aesthetic fix seems like an option if I cant get the fist method to work. :D

Thanks.