Home Technical Talk

UDK weapon render help

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, perhaps a trivial issue here in comparison to others. I'm looking for a tutorial or tips on how to import my weapon mesh into UDK or Unreal for rendering purposes. Marmoset just isn't doing it for me anymore. My spec always looks crap in it and gloss maps don't seem to work for me so I'm giving unreal a go. Plus I would like to have a kind of base scene setup that would represent how the textures behave in all engines and I just don't think Marmoset offers that.

Anyway, I'm looking for tips from the absolute bottom up. Importing, setting up materials, scene, lighting etc. Last time I used Unreal was Unreal 3 a few years back.

Cheers for any help :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, perhaps a trivial issue here in comparison to others. I'm looking for a tutorial or tips on how to import my weapon mesh into UDK or Unreal for rendering purposes. Marmoset just isn't doing it for me anymore. My spec always looks crap in it and gloss maps don't seem to work for me so I'm giving unreal a go. Plus I would like to have a kind of base scene setup that would represent how the textures behave in all engines and I just don't think Marmoset offers that.

Anyway, I'm looking for tips from the absolute bottom up. Importing, setting up materials, scene, lighting etc. Last time I used Unreal was Unreal 3 a few years back.

Cheers for any help :)

I can't help you with UDK, however if you're having issues with your specular and gloss maps in Toolbag:
    A. Make sure your gloss map is saved in your specular map's alpha channel, and make sure you're saving it as 32 bit
    B. Set the specular sharpness setting to max for your gloss map to control the full range of values
    C. White in the gloss is smoother surface/more reflective/tighter highlight, while black is rougher surface/less reflective/wider highlight

More here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks EarthQuake! I had A and C locked down but I didn't know about B. Thats solves things for me hopefully :)