Home General Discussion

Anybody done university talks?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
I'm doing my first one tomorrow, a guest talk. Anybody got any tips or advice other than "don't say stupid stuff"?

i've got my presentation ready, i guess i'm just nervous.

Replies

• Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Relax, you're an amazing artist, and I've learned allot just from listening to you chit chat in the hangouts, you're gonna do great man. Good luck and have fun.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Whenever I have lectures I just usually have each subject I want to bring up in a couple of points. Then I wing it from there. I also have all the images I need to show etc collected.

Once you're up there, stand up, relax, you can walk around the place and talk at the same time, point at the image, move your arms.

Get to know your audience a little, ask them questions, have you ever played a game? did you guys play this game? etc etc. Maybe you'll learn something about them that makes it easier to explain stuff.

Never fear taking your time getting the things you want to say right. Even a paus of 5 seconds won't feel that long to them.

Most of all , have fun! :) and good luck!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    It's totally ok to be nervous man. if you're not nervous - something's wrong with you:D But when you know and care about your subject, as soon as you step up on that podium/ stage and utter the first few words with a shaky voice (and see that no tomatoes are flying your way) the fear steps back. You just have to live through it every single time.

A few things I would recommend are:
    1. Look for your audience within the audience. When I had to talk in front a thousand or two people this really helped me keep me nerves in check. In your audience there's always going to be someone who agrees with you most. People show it with their faces: nodding, smiling. You can even go ask a friend to do that. Concentrate on that person. Obviously constantly look around the room but just as you are about to reveal a new point that you think someone might not understand go right back to that person for a new dose of reassurance
    2. Naughty words. Seriously. I don't think that many of the people organizing my talks approve of this but I find that it's a great way to ease the tension and help everyone unwind. I'm not saying you should start cussing from the first minute, but about 5,10,20 minutes in, when it's appropriate and done a bit comically you can call something "shit" because it shows you care :D

Or you can just tell a joke, but that's too simple :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    discuss subjects your comfortable with. have a plan b,notes etc. If you're doing a demo of some sort- have a finished product ready if shit hits the fan or time runs out.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    It is natural to feel "naked at the podium" when giving a talk. The term "Imposter Syndrome" is often used to describe it. Remember that the audience does not usually have your level of experience nor skill. You tend to think that someone will discover "your weaknesses" and expose you.

Be organized (have a simple checklist). Be yourself. If there is Q & A and you do not know the answer (or are unsure)--reply by saying "I'm not sure about that, but I'll check into it and get back to you if you leave me your card." (or similar response). Don't "BS" people.

Do you know the background of the audience (age, focus)? Avoid being too technical if the audience is more "general." Avoid "four letter words" and jokes (unless you poke fun at yourself.)

A good rule is to not saying anything that you do not want to end up in print.

When you take the podium, thank everyone for inviting you, thank them for attending, and then tell them something interesting about yourself/your background to break the ice.

Good luck!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, I graduated from the uni you are giving a talk at last year! Just wanted to say the students on the course are awesome. I am sure you will be awesome too. Good luck man!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've been teaching a weekly class at the Guildhall for a while. If you are giving an instructional talk, pause frequently to ask if anyone has questions. This will be smoother than someone interrupting you, or going back a few steps to explain it again.

You're work is awesome man! You'll do great.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    try not to mention that the assload of debt they're taking on isn't worth it or they might not invite you back.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    While it's okay to feel naked because of stress, or to imagine the crowd naked to reduce that stress, it is very very very important that neither of you are actually naked. Just keep that in mind.

On a more serious note:

Practice your presentation at least two times (preferably a few days apart); once to get the serious glitches out, and once to get comfortable with the 'final draft' of it. The first one is good for things like timing checks, seeing if the audience (grab some friends for this) understands it, etcetera. I know that's not much help now, but it will be the next time.

Like monster says, leave room and time inbetween 'paragraphs' for questions. You don't have to explicitly state "any questions" every time, though. Just a simple "ok" and/or a look around the room will do once they get your pattern. Even just walking back to the center spot and leaving a few seconds of silence is a good cue.

It's quite important (for confidence and calm) that you remember most people will not be interested in everything you say, and some not interested in anything you say. After all, school classes aren't generally the most motivated listeners. Just find a couple of people that do seem genuinely curious around the room and kind of focus on them. This might even trick the subconscious in to thinking you're presenting to a smaller audience or something, I dunno.

AND DON'T FORGET TO PLUG POLYCOUNT.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Mention that you'll be at the student bar after the lecture, get a few pints out of it ;)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Do these kids a favor... and give it to them straight. 8)

Too much sugar coating in our schools in my opinion.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I would make sure that each of your power point slides have lots of pretty colourful images to keep peoples attention. Short bullet points are also good so that you will always be able to keep track in case someone randomly asks a question and throws you off.

There is nothing more annoying than watching lecturers just facing the screen and reading every single word directly from the slides.

Face the class and be clear and don't fidget. I would recommend taking a bottle of water in with you as well as dry mouth is a killer :)

You will be fine, just imagine it is a large Hangout but without the fart noises lol
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnLDMoGTizk"]Powerpoint Meltdown - YouTube[/ame]

You'll probably do just fine!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, breathe. Silence > incoherent babbling.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Sit down on the stage. Unwrap your nandos whole chicken and chips (spicy). Chat shit for 40 mins! :D

nah you'll be great dude, you know your stuff!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to go Glengarry, Glen Ross...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0"]Glengarry Glen Ross speech - YouTube[/ame]

But seriously you will do fine. You know what you're talking about.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey guys!

thanks for all the support, i had a killer time, had to give a four hour talk (split into two, two hour sessions) and then go round and give feedback to people, see what they were working on etc, give pointers.

was an awesome experience, i'd love to do it again!

thanks to the Derby University for having me!
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for coming down lee, was great having you here :). The students loved what you had to say. You did great!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Glad to hear it went well, bet you where knackered after a four hour talk.