Home Dota 2

Sir. Evil_Donut's Workshop (need some advice)

First of this are my first Dota 2 items and my first time using blender(or any 3d moddeling software). I have to say respect for everyone who does mods or items it is realy a lot of work (but also a lot of fun).

Feedback and critique would be awesome

There is some advice i would need regarding the textures
°My textures seem to loose resolution but i cant figure out why (thats why i removed some detail :q )
°Is there a way to make the monocle transperent (like glass)? (should i just remove the monocle?)
°How do u make ur preview pictures? (I made them by reducing suration on every texture except the one from the item i am showing) is there a guide :D
°I think my textures are to dark but they look nice in the game engine

here is the set http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198088081092/myworkshopfiles/?570

Replies

• Sir. Evil_Donut
    here is quad view of my set
    2eov69l.jpg
  • Sir. Evil_Donut
    here is a small problem i encountered the smd file from dota2 requirements is diferent from the ingame model (i am doing something wrong regarding my presentation imges)
    2wdq6hg.jpg
    potrait view
    2podtns.jpg
  • Sir. Evil_Donut
    here is the texture from the head (in the original size)
    2zyfx95.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    1: you're not using the UV space as well as you potentially could, but at the end of the day the textures are small and will always be a little low rez when you look at them up close in-game.

2: I could be wrong, but as far as i know the characters only support masked transparency - so only values of 0 and 1, nothing in between. Therefore, no, I don't believe there is an option of making the monacle semi-transparent, it's either on or off (and i believe that transparency is still only supported by certain characters, though i have heard that valve will be making it an option for all)

3: there are lots of ways to make the promo images - yours works just fine. It might be easier to mask things out and desaturate in Photoshop, but either one works.

4:the masks are what really bring a texture together.

additionally: I don't think the items you've made are lore-friendly enough for Dota. I like them, but i suspect the top-hat/monacle combo is too silly to get any serious consideration.
    welcom :)
  • Sir. Evil_Donut
    Seems alot of ppl think the monocle is out of line? I mean removing it would not be a big deal (thats why i wanted to make it semitransperent to make the monocle less intrusive)

thx for ur critique reverendK