Home Technical Talk

retopo nighmare

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
So here's the deal, I use a base mesh to make a sculpt (it was a rather simple top of the head )
when I imported it back into maya it was all jumbled and contorted. I looked into some retopo programs, but they all seemed to be no good at all. Either they didn't work or they froze up pretty quickly.

I am trying to sort through the excess geometry, but it seems to be proving difficult, what are your sentiments on this folks?

Replies

• Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    If you are freezing because of too many poly then use a medium density mesh to retopo then bake the high to low. In Zbrush I will decimate a copy of my high mesh before taking into Topogun.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Popeye9 is right, decimating your high poly to a more manageable number is a good idea. Which retpopo programs did you use? I wouldn't say they're all no good. I've heard great things about topogun (haven't used it much myself) 3d coat is great for retopo as well as texture painting and can do lots of other things too; and studio max has some great stuff in the graphire tools also.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like your export mesh is to big and your running out of ram. open system monitor and watch your ram usage. you can either decimate your hires or take it down a subdivision or two. depending on what sort of surface your using.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    How do you open the system monitor? That sounds like a great idea to check how ram is being affected. Can yoy check anything else like that?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase wrote: »
    How do you open the system monitor? That sounds like a great idea to check how ram is being affected. Can yoy check anything else like that?

if your in windows. on win7. right click on the tray ->start task manager.

performance tab gives you ram usage.