Home Technical Talk

Max 2011 Gizmo circle snap problem

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
So we just upgraded to max 2011 and I've run into this problem when i am trying to snap verts while using axis constraints. when i select the verts this little circle pops up in the center of the gizmo right on top of verts. but unfortunately when i try and move the verts and snap them to something else I can't grab them with out grabbing the circle, and when you grab the circle it overrides my "use axis constraints". Any idea how to turn the circle thing OFF?

gizmo_circle.jpg

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If you're using axis constraints, you should be grabbing the gizmo's axial arrows (or the right-angle square created by two axes) rather than the center circle. Grabbing the little circle is equivalent to moving your selection through all three axes at once, which is essentially an unconstrained transformation.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Bartalon is right. Typically when snapping verts you're going to want to grab the manipulater handles OR that little circle.

In my testing just now, grabbing the handles, or the 'yellow' area between the axis arrow handles of the manipulator does the same thing as having only one vert selected and using that circle. If you have more than 1 vert selected, that circle represents the middle of your selection even when using 'Use Pivot Point Center' as opposed to 'Use Selection Center' and when using that circle with more than 1 ver selected will snap those verts to whatever your snaps are (grid, vertex, faces, etc) but keep the spacing that they initially had.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I remember before there was always a precision issue when moving verts, and if you didn't start your move from the center of the vert, the final location might be off a little bit when you snap. I guess they fixed it finally. Thanks
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Ha! I never new the precision issue was fixed. I've been tapping X to hide the gizmo and the little circle for ages.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They fixed it in max2011 or 2012?

Snaps in max where broken for a very very long time... like this crap:
    3dsmax2DSnap.jpg

And then sometimes you get...
    3dsmax2-5Dand3DSnaptoGrid.jpg