Home Technical Talk

UDK - Anti-Aliasing occuring no matter what settings I apply - G3A3 Rifle Cinematic

Hello everyone,

I'm having some pretty ugly aliasing happening on my textures, I don't believe it's really an issue with my hard edges as it happens to details that are only present in the textures(diff/spec/norm). I have spent the past week searching the forums and google for every possible bit information and trying every possible setting/solution that I have found regarding Anti-Aliasing and so far I have not been able to fix my issue. Alas, I am resorting to this post in the hopes that someone out there will be able to help me solve this! Any help is greatly appreciated!

My goal with this personal project was to create a highly detailed G3A3 Rifle model in 3ds max and create a nice film like cinematic sequence that shows off various lighting and film style post process effects.

First, here is a video that shows exactly what is occurring(switch to 720p so that it's not pixelated as much): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyGEp_Y0ccs&feature=youtu.be

You can see that there are some pretty bad spots for aliasing on a lot of the rifle, and this happens whether I am in the editor or running the actual game in fullscreen at 1920x1080 resolution. In the 2nd shot the part that really bugs me is the ammo clip and the text above the ammo clip that is on the main body. The text is purely within the texture, so I am guessing there is some issue that I am having regarding anti-aliasing / filtering of textures, I don't really see too much bad aliasing with the geometry or hard edges when viewed from a distance(at least it's not really that jarring to me, it's the texture aliasing that flickers constantly that really bugs me). I am using the reference DOF setting within a post process volume, but the aliasing occurs whether or not the text is in focus. Once you get up close to the text, there's no issues. And I am noticing that the aliasing tends to be more prominent at more extreme viewing angles, and less prominent when viewing the text directly perpendicular to the face it is on.

Here is my shortcut settings that I am using to play and capture the video. I do not need this cinematic to play in real time, I just want to max the quality for it so I can later edit the video together in another program, so frame rate is not an issue for me, quality however is!
C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe g3_cutscene_working -DX11 -BENCHMARK -MAXQUALITYMODE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING -DUMPMOVIE -FPS=30 -ResX=1920 -ResY=1080

Here are the things that I have tried so far:
-Adjusting all settings regarding Anti-aliasing and texture filtering in the UDKSystemSettings.ini
-Forcing the Anti-Aliasing settings within the Nvidia Control Panel (tried every possible AA setting, even the 16x, 32x and 64x CSAA options)
-Setting up the post process settings to enable FXAA and MLAA (FXAA5 does reduce the antialiasing a little bit, MLAA doesn't really help, which makes sense since I'm on an Nvidia card)
-Placed the rifle within all of the demo maps provided with UDK and still get the same results
-Tried every possible setting within the individual texture options (LOD Group set to UI or Cinematic, Cinematic gets best results so far)
-Originally I was using DX9, but I have now switched to DX11

**So far I can confirm that it is most likely not an issue with UV padding on my textures. I am using 4096x4096 textures, I have tried turning on the Precision UV setting, and I have tried messing with some of the MIP map settings. This still occurs even when I turn MIP maps off. My textures are also setup to properly utilize MIP's, so that when they down res the pixels within the texture padding should represent the proper colors etc. So I highly doubt it is resulting from pixel bleeding.**

However, could this be an issue with my normal map? I am currently importing the normal map directly from the PSD file, however I have tested using TGA 32bit files and the results are the same. I have tested the different compression settings for normal maps, and so far I get the best results with the "TC_NormalmapBC5" setting. I have also gone and removed the blue channel and replaced it manually within the material editor.
Here is the material setup: http://trystan.us/material_setup.jpg
**Note: I am using detail maps and reflection stuff in here, but this issue occurs even when I just use a simple diff/spec/norm setup without the extra nodes that I have in the material**
Here is the texture window settings: http://trystan.us/texture_setup.jpg
**Note: The settings for the diffuse and specular are the same except for the compression settings, which are set to default for the diffuse and specular maps**

I have read that MSAA only functions when set to 4x, however I still get aliasing(and I get some pretty ugly render issues regarding LUT color grading and tonemapper when I am using the 4x setting.)

Here are the settings I have applied within the UDKSystemSettings.ini:
[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
UnbatchedDecals=True
DecalCullDistanceScale=1.0
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
CompositeDynamicLights=True
SHSecondaryLighting=True
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=True
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1
DepthOfField=True
AmbientOcclusion=True
Bloom=False
bAllowLightShafts=True
Distortion=True
FilteredDistortion=True
DropParticleDistortion=False
bAllowDownsampledTranslucency=False
SpeedTreeLeaves=True
SpeedTreeFronds=True
OnlyStreamInTextures=False
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
OneFrameThreadLag=True
UseVsync=True
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True
AllowOpenGL=False
AllowRadialBlur=True
AllowSubsurfaceScattering=True
AllowImageReflections=True
AllowImageReflectionShadowing=True
bAllowSeparateTranslucency=True
bAllowPostprocessMLAA=True
bAllowHighQualityMaterials=True
MaxFilterBlurSampleCount=16
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=3
MaxDrawDistanceScale=1
ShadowFilterQualityBias=0
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
bAllowD3D9MSAA=False
bAllowTemporalAA=True
TemporalAA_MinDepth=500
TemporalAA_StartDepthVelocityScale=100
MinShadowResolution=64
MinPreShadowResolution=8
MaxShadowResolution=1024
MobileShadowTextureResolution=1120
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=1280
ShadowFadeResolution=128
PreShadowFadeResolution=16
ShadowFadeExponent=.25
ResX=1920
ResY=1080
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000000
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=1.3
PreShadowResolutionFactor=.5
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=False
bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=False
TessellationAdaptivePixelsPerTriangle=48.0
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=False
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=False
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=False
bUseConservativeShadowBounds=False
ShadowFilterRadius=2
ShadowDepthBias=.012
PerObjectShadowTransition=60
PerSceneShadowTransition=600
CSMSplitPenumbraScale=.5
CSMSplitSoftTransitionDistanceScale=4
CSMSplitDepthBiasScale=.5
CSMMinimumFOV=40
CSMFOVRoundFactor=4
UnbuiltWholeSceneDynamicShadowRadius=20000
UnbuiltNumWholeSceneDynamicShadowCascades=3
WholeSceneShadowUnbuiltInteractionThreshold=50
bAllowFracturedDamage=True
NumFracturedPartsScale=1.0
FractureDirectSpawnChanceScale=1.0
FractureRadialSpawnChanceScale=1.0
FractureCullDistanceScale=1.0
bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=false
bDisableSkeletalInstanceWeights=false
HighPrecisionGBuffers=False
AllowSecondaryDisplays=False
SecondaryDisplayMaximumWidth=1280.0
SecondaryDisplayMaximumHeight=720.0
AllowPerFrameSleep=True
AllowPerFrameYield=True
Here are the settings I am using in the post process chain: http://trystan.us/post_process_settings.jpg
**Note: I have turned off Bloom and I am not using tonemapper, and motion blur is set to be very low as I do not desire much motion blur**

Here is the settings I currently have applied within the Nvidia Control Panel: http://trystan.us/nvidia_control_panel_settings.jpg

I have a strange feeling that my Nvidia Control Panel settings might not be applying them to the game, but I have noticed that some changes within there are noticeable so I believe it is properly forcing the settings on the game but I may be wrong.

So here are a few things that I believe might be contributing to the issue, but I really have a strong feeling that I just missed some random setting or feature that might solve this:
-Any thoughts on adjusting settings within the Nvidia Control Panel to get the best results? Do the higher CSAA settings for antialiasing have any benefits?
-Is it possible that it might be an issue with my normal map? I have read that UDK now supports meshes that utilize a single Smoothing Group with the high poly normal maps baked using XNorm, which apparently gets better results. I have never had issues with normal maps in any of the games I have worked on in the past, I used the standard method for baking from max with smoothing groups applied to any faces that have extreme angles to avoid lighting issues.
-Have I missed any settings or options that might be required to enable AA properly? I believe I can tell there is some form of Anti-Aliasing working, and the Post Process Anti-Aliasing is definitely functioning (though it is a subtle improvement).

I really appreciate the time/effort anyone can put in to help me solve this issue! I will continue to research further, but right now my mind is completely stumped... Thanks everyone!

System Specs:
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67ghx 2.66ghz
EVGA x58 SLI motherboard with 16.0GB ram
2x EVGA Geforce 560 ti - SLI
Windows 7 Home Premium

Replies

• theaneurin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to try out the TiledShot command to double the capture resolution of the cinematic, which in theory should reduce aliasing by double. So far I can see that it has in fact reduced aliasing in many areas, but despite capturing the video frames at 3840 x 2160 I still see aliasing in some areas! This seems pretty odd, but so far the results are definitely an improvement, but it would be really rewarding to completely reduce the aliasing all together (which from what I have read, is nearly impossible to completely eliminate all aliasing). It just seems very strange that the aliasing is so intense, so I really think that I don't have the system settings config file set up properly or my nvidia control panel isn't controlling the settings as intended.

I'll continue to try and tweak things but if anyone else has any suggestions or ideas please let me know! Thanks :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Part of it is probably just because of the way you created your content. Sharp edges just tend to do this, it's always a better idea to soften things a bit.