Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flintlock

Well, it was about that time where the old portfolio was lookin a bit barren, so I decided it was time for some personal work :P I've worked out the high and low poly, and I was about to bake when I thought it'd be a good idea to get some insight. I know my geo aint so hot, so maybe you fine polycounters could help me out? :D

LP:

LP2.jpg:original

LP1.jpg:original

HP:

HP2.jpg:original

HP1.jpg:original

REF

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ramrod has some serious normal problems in the low-poly version, and will create problems when baking. It also isn't straight, but curves down. You'd probably be better off simplifying it.
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with DW, you should fix those normals on the snout.
    Also, you probably don't need to model the screws; if it doesn't add to the silhouette don't model it - bake it.
    Cool start nonetheless! :)
  • BigPapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update--baked and applied ao. I added some other little details too:

flintpreveiw2.jpg:original

I fixed the smoothing on the ramrod, but i decided to keep is curved and kept the screws just felt like they added something special, I might remove them later if I care to :P
  • BigPapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flinttxtfirstpass.jpg:original

Quick texture pass - The wood seems to be coming along oookay, but metal will always give me trouble; especially whats going on the barrel. If anyone's got any pointers it'd be huugely appreciated.

REF
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood seems very rough for the weapon; I'd tone down the normal map on the wood grain.

The darker band on the butt is odd, looking like a series of straight lines instead of a smooth ring; perhaps redoing the UVs for this section would help.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I would say to add some more discoloration to the metal. Is this just a diffuse pass? A spec map would probably make it look a lot better than how it is now.

It also wouldn't hurt to see some perspective views.
  • BigPapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update :) changed the band on the butt of the gun and toned down the bumpiness of the wood. I feel like I've hit a wall; I'm not sure how to take this further, but it definitely needs to be, so I'm back looking for more help. I'm using Xoliul shader in max by the way.

txtupdate.jpg~original

REF