Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Bear Evac!

Hey people,

I'm nobody of consequence, but I figured I could see about doing something for this contest! I'm on a mac computer so I will be using Unity (free), Maya / Mudbox (2013), and Photoshop. Probably diffuse-only, hand painted cartoon texture style.

Boring tech junk out of the way, my escape is a violent tale of war- of comradery! These bears have seen it all, serving in the armed forces for many years, but they never saw the ambush coming one fateful day. Requesting an immediate evac, the band of brothers hold off the enemy long enough for the helicopters to arrive. With not even a second to catch their breath, an RPG soars towards our heroes' escape!

A close call, the force of jerking the controls throws one of our heroes out of the door, barely caught by his comrade's hand. In this moment time stands still for an eternity as we all face the brink.

concept_zpsb37d18b3.jpg

Yea, my amazing 30 minute photoshop concept art. I love cartoon styles, so I tried to keep the bear characters as round as I could, and the helicopter is based loosely on the OH-6, which looks cartoony itself!

The scene itself is rather basic: two bears, a helicopter, RPG and some smoke. I aim to do all of the work by myself over the next 5-6 weeks, and if I can do it in time also add in the building which the RPG came from. This will end up as a diorama in Unity. The smoke I may do as image planes in Maya to get the feeling right.

Anyways, so yea that's what I'm doing ~ two bears holding onto life on a helicopter as an RPG flies underneath. War, brotherhood, the fear, and cute bears! I am going for a cartoon style out of preference and also to soften the war tones. I will be working on this forever alone :).

*fingers crossed*
-Brian

Replies

• Bralko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a few hours, went ahead and made a character mesh. I am pretty happy with the look, I may tweak some things as I put a skeleton in there, see how everything deforms. Next thing is a quick skeleton, some mesh adjustments then I'm making the helicopter.

model_nolines_zpscad4610f.jpg
    escape_bearModel_zps16ebca2e.jpg

Total work time: 3 hours. Top screenshot is high quality viewport, I find it helpful to highlight issue areas / small detail stuff, despite how weird it looks. But yea, initial mesh made, I'm going to check deformations then jump on the helicopter ~ goal is to finish all meshes by the 15th.