Home Unity

How hard is it to make a fighting game ?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mountains polycounter lvl 10
How hard is it to make a fighting game ? "" Code ""

gameplay like Eretzvaju, Dead or Alive, Soul calibur...

What do you think ?

tips, how to make ? Thank you.

Replies

• SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty easy as you can fake a lot of stuff. Fight Games have combos and moves that require the player to press specific keys. The simplest code would be to deal damage when the key is pressed, to make it more advanced simply check the range of the other player and if he's near enough. To go further with combos add some boolean values to check if another key was pressed before within a specific time..

With such simple things you're able to create a simple Fighting Game and improve it with every time you continue to work on it :D

Unity is awesome and a lot new-user-friendly so try it ! :)
  • MercurialForge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MercurialForge polycounter lvl 11
    Documented fighting game experience in unity

An amazing ready no matter what game your making. Not all applies in Unity4 but till great stuff to know.
  • RPJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RPJ polycounter lvl 4
    I'd like to know more too. I came here because I'm making a 3D fighting game :)
  • TrevoriuS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For combos you should maintain a list of key presses and the time of that key press, then you can backtrack through the list in search for a combo, whenever the max time between two consecutive key presses runs out you search the longest combo starting at the end of the list, apply that move and clear the list.

Attacks are also pretty easy to hack, you should create a bounding box / mesh for your attack area (which can vary per move), the area itself should know whom it's owner (the original performer of the attack) is and then check collision with every (N)PC, if other is not owner append it to a list to 'enetities whom have been damaged' and damage that other, then if the attack exists for an infinity of time everyone can get damaged by it only once. You should of course not let it exist for infinity.

Area of effects can also be done by not maintaining the entities but instead multiplying the damage dealt by Time.deltaTime so that the longer an entity stands in the collider the more damage it gets.

Just my brainstorm ;) hope it helps you get some ideas.