Home Unreal Engine

UDK and UnrealScript books? What do you recommend?

Hello!

I've been learning UDK and UScript very slowly over the last few months. While there are a lot of resources online, there's no guarantee I'll be able to access them (especially when I'm in the hospital with not-so-good internet). I'm wondering what books you'd recommend to use as both a learning tool and for reference for UDK and UScript. I've seen some mentioned in member's signatures as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! ^_^

Oh I forgot to mention I already own the following books:
UDK Game Development by Alan Thorn
Unreal Game Development by Ashish Amresh & Alex Okita

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ooof...that's tricky. Almost everything I've picked up has been from colleagues and forums...you might find it a better use of your money to spend on an unlimited data plan for a phone or tablet, and thus stay connected to net resources...

If you're set on analog media though you might be better off to ask this directly in the unrealscript subsection of the Epic forums
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Youre better off learning C#. Unless you are working a strictly UE3 project. Youll cover a much wider "audience" and uscript is nonexistent in ue4.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youre better off learning C#.

I would recommend learning Java before C# if the end goal is learning UnrealScript, as UScript was largely based on Java. Either one is good though, because the hardest part for a new programmer (at least for me) is understanding the concept of object oriented programming, especially in games.

As for a learning tool specific to UDK, I really recommend a tool called UnCodeX. One of the biggest challenges of learning UnrealScript (besides understanding OOP) is learning about the existing parent classes, what functionality they already have, and how to use that to your advantage. UnCodeX organizes all of your .uc classes into a hierarchy tree in an easy to use interface, and it also lets you search through all of the separate classes. I always have it open when I'm programming UScript to search for function declarations and variables and stuff like that in the classes I'm extending from.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    really just knowing a programming languages or 2 first will really help out. I picked up unrealScript in 1 day, when i already knew php, python and a little C#

though it also depends on how deep into programing too since for programming for almost all games you really do need to have good skills with object orients programming practices.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of what I've learned for scripting in unreal has been from forums, tutorials online, and trial and error.
    One book that I have come across though (that looks pretty good to me) is:

http://davidvoyles.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/my-book-unrealscript-game-programming-cookbook-has-been-published/

you can look through the camera chapter and see what it's like.
    I don't own this book, but if I were to buy one, I would look into getting this one.

Hope that helps :)
  • DaveVoyles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could learn either C# or JavaScript and be fine with UnrealScript.

UScript is really it's own language, a bit distinct from anything else, but i f you know either of those other languages, it can't hurt.

UE3 is far from dead - think about how many AAA studios are using it right now. UE4 looks incredible, and the tools have been cleaned up big time, but I'd imagine it will be quite a while before they make a UDK version for indies like us.

It took nearly a decade for us to get UE3 (which is free!) but I'd imagine that they would charge for 4. Then again, you'd have to learn C++ for that. C++ is great if you want to build games, but it's far more complicated and tedious than C# or JavaScript, as those two languages handle memory allocation and garbage collection for you.

I can't give you the book text (the publisher won't allow it :/), but shoot me an e-mail (D n voyles at g mail dot com) and I can send you the source code so you can at least get started!

-Dave
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Neavah wrote: »
    Most of what I've learned for scripting in unreal has been from forums, tutorials online, and trial and error.
    One book that I have come across though (that looks pretty good to me) is:

http://davidvoyles.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/my-book-unrealscript-game-programming-cookbook-has-been-published/

you can look through the camera chapter and see what it's like.
    I don't own this book, but if I were to buy one, I would look into getting this one.

Hope that helps :)

I bought this book and so far it is easy to follow and well structured. If you buy a digital copy stay away from the Google play version, its fucked. I wish I would have paid a little extra and got the pdf or a book.
  • DaveVoyles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert, what's wrong with the Google Play version?

I ask, because I've never seen it before. I assumed it was identical to the .PDF or Kindle version. I'll speak to the publisher about this.

Shoot me an e-mail at D N Voyles at G Mail dot com and I'll be able to get you squared away with another copy.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind I'm retarded, I just noticed that I can download a pdf version. The Google Play version cuts off portions of content for no apparent reason in scanned pages mode and the flowing text mode kills the formatting unless you zoom all of the way out. I sometimes have to switch back and forth to figure out how the code should be formatted.

For example. Flowing text might read:

Begin Object
    Name=SVehicleMesh

and that will cause compilation errors where as the scan pages mode might read

Begin Object Name=SVehicleMe

book.jpg

It's not really an issue now that I found the link to download the PDF though.
  • DaveVoyles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for clarifying!

Like I said before, I've never seen how Google handles the text (or if they use their own proprietary format for it), but now I'm aware.

Hope you're enjoying it. Let me know if I can be of any help.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am enjoying your book, I just wish I would have found it earlier. I've coded a little in C# using the XNA framework but I hadn't dealt with a full blown engine like Unreal. As an artist and not a programmer, I was getting frustrated but Your book has really helped me to grasp the way UDK is organized and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • openstheway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check this one out

http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-ud...velopment/book

it has a bunch for cool projects - covering some kismet a little bit of UScript and HUD/GUI interface.
  • spire8989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best book for learning UnrealScript is definitely the one by Rachel aka AngelMapper: http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Development-Game-Programming-UnrealScript/dp/1849691924
  • DaveVoyles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spire8989 wrote: »
    The best book for learning UnrealScript is definitely the one by Rachel aka AngelMapper: http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Development-Game-Programming-UnrealScript/dp/1849691924

I agree, Rachel's book is spectacular. I was a technical reviewer for that one, and it's incredible for learning UnrealScript. Mine on the other hand, is basically the second step in this process, and allows you to add more gameplay elements once you've completed her book.