Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[W.I.P.] Low Poly Modular School Hallway

Hi there Polycount! This is my first thread, so I'm pretty nervous.

I'm working on a modular school environment in Max to put in my demo reel. I was hoping I could get some critique to push this to the next level.

progress29.jpg

Things I'm working on:
- Adding variations to pieces (grunge, grafitti, colour differences)
- Faking the inside of classrooms with textures (currently 5-sided boxes with a gradient applied to test perspective changes
- Making the lighting more interesting
- If I have more time : water fountain, fire alarm, wrappers and garbage, locks for lockers

Tri-counts are thus:

Entire scene - 2236 tris

Modular Blank Wall - 2 tris
Modular Floor Pieces - 2 tris
Modular Ceiling Pieces - 2 tris
Modular Door Wall - 6 tris
Inside Classroom Box - 10 tris
Bulletin Board - 18 tris
Modular Lockers - 22 tris
Pillar - 30 tris
Trash Can - 860 tris

Any advice or critique would be appreciated. The demo reel is due in a week and I'd love to get these changes finished for then.

Replies

• Miranda
    Okay so I've gotten some advice and taken it as best as I can, but I have a few problems. My specular highlights aren't showing up and I think it might be due to my lights. Going to try to troubleshoot more tomorrow.

62826_10152730540355331_1810718791_n.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Wow I thought these were photos. Very nice work. I was going to mention you should add variety to the lockers, but looks like thats on your list. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • Miranda
    I was advised to open a few lockers.

534806_10152732115010331_196187013_n.jpg

I was given this paint overlay concept by a friend and intend on incorporating as many of these elements as I can before the due date, and some over the next few weeks.

480877_496432307087500_1686379530_n.jpg
  • DWalker
    The trash can is very high-poly in relation to the rest of the scene -taking over a third of your total budget.

The scene seems a bit flat, especially along the lockers. If you're using a normal map, then I'd work on the edges between lockers; if not, then I'd add one. :)

The ceiling tiles and the lights seem very small. This image seems very close to your design; notice that the hall is ~5 tiles wide, compared to your 7, and the lights are 2 tiles wide. The metal supports between the tiles seem too thick; they should be almost flush with the tiles.
    school_hall.jpg

You might also want to add a glossy reflection to the floor; note in the reference that the floor is not perfectly smooth - this will give you a chance to have some fun with the normals on that surface. You can also have some fun with the gloss map, placing footprints/scuff marks exclusively in the map.

School lockers tend to be painted with a high-gloss paint (actually, in older schools, several layers of high-gloss paint), so they and the wall tiles should be shiny; again, you can paint scuffs into their gloss maps.

The windows in the doors should be partially reflective, especially if the rooms behind them are poorly lit.

The trim at the base of the walls often has a smooth fillet to prevent water from mopping from getting trapped in the crease between the floor and the wall. Lockers are typically placed just above the trim for the same reason, preventing water from leaking into the lockers.

You might also have gone a bit overboard with the number of columns - some of them seem very close together.
  • Miranda
    Progress for the day. Thanks for the crit, DWalker. I'll see how much I can implement by tomorrow night. As stated before, this is part of my demo reel due on Tuesday morning.

45485_10152733291965331_545476150_n.jpg

Currently adding a fire alarm. Next up, Water fountain and necessary changes.
  • Miranda
    Okay, I think I'll throw in a piece of garbage or something and render it out for the demo reel.

72832_10152736113765331_1269938309_n.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    this is the model?
  • Miranda
    @ Turista, Uhm. Yes. Why do you ask?
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    The bricks in the windows are a bit off putting. It looks good but still too clean for me.
  • Miranda
    Yeah. My demo reel is due tomorrow for a showing we're having on the 17th, so I can't make all the changes I want to - but I intend on picking this back up and finishing it sometime soon.